1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the Santana Sweepstakes begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

But please don't be stupid.
    The poor, poor Minnesota Twins -- whose owner has more money than 95% of his MLB brethren -- already offered $20 mill a year for four years. Santana it seems, wants 6 or 7 years.
    If you can afford $20 mill for 4, you can afford $20 mill for 6. The Twins don't want to go that long, and I don't blame them for that, but they did make a $20 mill per year offer.
    Kinda shoots holes in the poor, poor Twins theory.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

MLB revenues are up to $6 billion per year. And it's not all going to the Yankees.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, I was trying to avoid this thread turning into that debate again.

But I will say this. The Yankees would never lose a player like Santana in this manner and they would never have to dip into the owner's actual pockets to pay for him. Revenue alone would handle it.

But notice above, I argued that this is one time the Twins' ownership should be digging deep to pay up.

There. You got to take your shot and I took mine. Any chance we can let this part of it drop rather than go around and around on this again?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If the Twins really want to put butts in the seats of their new ballpark, they should fork over the dough to keep Santana. They have a chance to be contenders for a while and with the revenue that a new ballpark will bring, they should be able to afford him

Of course, if -- as someone else mentioned -- it's about years and not dollars, they should do what they think is best for the organiztion. And that may include not being hamstrung by a 7-year deal if Santana's arm falls off.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As a Twins fan, I do hope they keep him.

That said, they'd be nuts not to listen to offers. And, as spnited said, Pohlad can always call in a winching crew to open his fucking wallet and pay him now to sell a lot of season tickets at the new park. It makes plenty of financial sense to sign him, too. This isn't really a salary cap issue.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i know.... i really get sick of the yankees winning the damn world series year after year after year

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wait. Did I read Coco Crisp being mentioned in a deal for Johan Santana? Have I stepped into a parallel universe where Coco Crisp has any sort of trade value whatsoever?

Cripes.

If I work for the Twins, I tell the Yanks that if they want Johan, they have to ante up Kennedy, Hughes, Cano and Cabrera. There's no way that they can acquire the best pitcher in the game without feeling a bit of hurt.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Enjoy the draft picks.

9. BBJones

BBJones Guest

When the Yankees miss the playoffs once, just once, your sarcasm-dripping idiocy might make a little sense. Until then, you're just an ignorant shill.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously, HB, that is a ludicrous offer.
    So, the Yankees get a starting pitcher and now have to find a new CF, 2B and another starting pitcher?
    Santana is the best pitcher in baseball and of course the Yankees are going to have to give up some good stuff to get him, but if they are asking for that package, well like Guy said, enjoy the draft picks.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Take Cano or Cabrera out, however, and it is not ridiculous.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Yanks will offer Hughes and Cabrera and two other prospects .... Tabata and maybe a lesser pitcher.
    I hear the Twins are not that high on Kennedy but must get either Hughes or Chanmberlain to even consider the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted