1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the Santana Sweepstakes begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Ya heard of Justin Morneau?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wrong Steinbrenner, but I still laughed.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have. One good hitter does not make a World Series contender.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Edit since I found the actual rumor:

The Boston Herald reported Thursday there is growing speculation that the Minnesota Twins will move ace left-handed Johan Santana. The Herald reported the Boston Red Sox will be in the hunt to acquire the Cy Young Award winner.

Rumors are the Twins have already inquired about center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury and right-hander Clay Buchholz, plus other top prospects. A more realistic package, perhaps, would have Coco Crisp filling Minnesota's hole in center field. Also included would be one of two top starting prospects, Buchholz or lefty Jon Lester. The Sox would likely have to include at least one other proven major league talent, plus one, more likely two, other minor leaguers. The Twins are known to be high on Crisp.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Man, if Crisp is the centerpiece of a deal involving Santana going to Boston, that would be an absolute steal for the Sox. If those fuckers get Santana, they are going to be unbeatable next season.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess you could also forget about Joe Mauer alongside Justin Morneau. But people were wondering about Liriano and if he's a top-tier starter. Did you see his stats before the injury?

12-3, 2.16 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 144 K

He had a tough vote with Verlander for ROY, but still, if he comes back to form, the Twins have a solid foundation if they were going to get another young stud.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The deal I heard before the playoffs started at Ellsbury, Buccholz or Lester and another player. I doubt the Twins are THAT high on Crisp, but with a new GM, who knows?

OOP --

Hunter's most productive seasons at the plate are likely to have been his last two. It isn't about letting a good player walk, it's about not overpaying for a player who isn't likely to be more productive in the future.

I hope Torii gets a great spot in the the Angels batting order and hits the cover off the ball. But the numbers say his best years are behind him, if not right now then very soon.

Angola --

My hypothetical involved Santana staying and Liriano returning to form. If the Twins get that this season, along with a back end of Bonser, Baker, Garza, for example, Neshek and Nathan closing wins and Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer in the 3-4-5, they really only need to fill the black holes of Tyner and Punto in their lineup with serviceable major league bats, and they are, indeed, World Series contenders. That's a lot of ifs, but no fewer than most teams -- the Yankees included -- are faced with.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When Santana is 31, 32, 33, Kennedy, Joba and Hughes will all be in their 20's. Santana may make them better this year, but over the life of his next contract, it won't be worth trading Hughes and Joba. Kennedy, Melky and Jackson/Tabata would be worth it for the Yanks, but not the Twins. The inclusion of the other 2 Yankee pitchers with any other substantial player is not worth it.

LA, Boston, NY & Anaheim would all be well served to restrict their trade offers and just try to out bid each other in the FA market than sell their best prospects AND pay Santana Zito-like $$ plus 2 years.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I hope this drags on for months. I can't get enough of the "which All-Star team with a bloated payroll will get Johan Santana" sweepstakes.

Salary cap, please. Or just fold the fucking league.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Enjoy the draft picks. They would be wise to avoid the mistake Arizona made for some reason (personal dislike?) when they traded Schilling, they asked for the moon and a bat from the Yankees & then took a bucket of balls from Boston - set the franchise back a good few years.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, thank you Yankee fanboy.

Santana is only 28. He's a long way from the point where you start worrying about age.

But hey, let's advocate collusion to help the Yanks out. ::)

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to go there again, but....

Draft saved Draft deleted