1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the Santana Sweepstakes begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nah, his value will be highest at the deadline next year, I would imagine.

Plus, if he stays for next year and Liriano returns near form, they could have a legit shot at the World Series.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No way. Teams won't want to pay that much for a two- or three-month rental. Twins would fetch more with a trade that would give that team Santana for a full season.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How about Cabrera, Kennedy, Tabata and someone among the rest of the pitching prospects (ie. Horne or Sanchez, etc.)?

One rumor I read said the Twins aren't necessarily demanding a lot of pitching in return because they have a ton of pitching prospects, whereas guys like Cabrera and Tabata would be interesting to them.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What hitting do they have? Jason Tyner? How the hell are the Twins suddenly World Series contenders if Liriano returns to form?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I honestly think Hughes is a more major-league ready starter than Chamberlain, who has never pitched more than 2 innings in a major-league game -- and never 2 days in a row -- nor thrown more than 80 pitches in any minor league outing.

Cabrera definitely would have to be in any offer the Yankees make.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just hope it is Cabrera the Yankees give up and not Cano.

What is involved in Boston's offer?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, they had Torii Hunter. If I was a Twins fan, I'd be ready to strangle somebody right now. I know their revenue sucks and that is part of the problem, but with an owner that wealthy, looking to deal the best pitcher in the game for financial reasons while letting their second-best hitter go in free agency is a disgrace.

And if either Hughes or Chamberlain isn't in the deal, the Twins should just give up now.

Oh wait. They tried to do that, too, when they were talking about contraction.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Please, if you would, tell me how much hitting the Diamondbacks needed to win the World Series in 2001, 'Gola. The middle of the Twins lineup is more than enough to get them to the postseason provided Liriano and Santana are effective and healthy and they simply fill in some of the black holes in their lineup. It isn't rocket science. They need a decent bat at 3B and a decent bat in the outfield. They do not need a 3-4-5 hitter.

And OOP, I love Torii, but he wasn't the Twins second best hitter. Maybe last season he was, but you saw how far that got them.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Liriano is as good as either Schilling or Johnson circa 2001?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Twins still have a batting champion, an MVP and a Cy Young winner and what could have been a ROY had Liriano stayed healthy. They're not completely out of it right now.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

But in George's condition, he thought they were talking about Bobby Kennedy.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just don't trust Mauer to stay healthy and productive and I do think Hunter was a bit better than Cuddyer.

Either way, something's not right when you are letting a very good player walk as a free agent, most likely not adding much in free agency and looking to dump the best pitcher in the game for financial reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted