1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the hating begin: Adam Sandler buys Mitch Albom script...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I just think sometimes its best not to judge others sportschick, but to each his/her own.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gotta go with SC on this one. A mistake is getting a name wrong, getting a score wrong ... hell, getting a quote wrong. I've made plenty of those mistakes, and everyone else has, too. I'll make more of them, I'm sure.

What Albom did was different. He didn't make a mistake; he intentionally put a "fact" in his story, knowing it hadn't even happened yet.

It's like the difference between a throwing error and throwing to the wrong base. One's a physical error that can happen to anybody; one's a mental error that there are no excuses for.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I shouldn't judge, eh? Rich coming from you, as you obviously have no problem judging us on here.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What she said.

Huckleberry, the man embarrassed our industry. Bottom line. It wasn't a mistake ... he fabricated a scene.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, he went out of his way to throw desk people and editors in front of the proverbial train in a terrible attempt to cover up his crap.

He should have been fired. Anyone else would have.

On yeah, one more thing, Huckleberry. For you to talk about anyone judging ... just what are you doing to us?

5. I'm not judging any of you individually. I'am saying that it isn't right to judge others, though.

6. NX

NX Member

He interviewed the players, took down their future plans for the Final Four and wrote them as fact because of the long lead time for the Sunday column. I often have long lead times and to stay current with a story or a column, I know how tempting it can be to do something like this. I've never given into this temptation and I hope I never will.

I was an Albom fan and like a fan, I, like YH, was willing to forgive that transgression. But then the investigation dug this up, not only lying but stealing from other journalists and then reasoning it all away. I can't look at him without thinking about this, so I rarely watch him or read him anymore.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0505/18/B01-184092.htm

"Detroit Free Press columnist Mitch Albom lifted quotes from other publications without attribution and in some stories quotes appeared to be slightly changed from how they appeared elsewhere, according to a Free Press investigation of their embattled star writer.

...Free Press investigative reporter David Zeman said Monday he and other reporters who conducted the five-week investigation were disappointed that editors chose to emphasize "what we didn't find, instead of what we did find."
    What the reporting team found was a number of cases in which Albom used quotes from other publications without telling readers, making it seem as if he had gathered the quotes himself. Such a practice violates the ethics policy of the Free Press, posted on the paper's Web site.

...A reporter at USA TODAY was fired recently for lifting quotes from the Indianapolis Star without attributing those quotes to the other publication.

...The Free Press then assigned several investigative reporters to dig into more than 600 past columns written by Albom, checking for previous ethical breaches from their star columnist.
    While the investigation uncovered no other instances in which Albom wrote about events that didn't happen, it did find that Albom had on occasion lifted quotes from other publications, including The Detroit News.

...The investigation also uncovered instances when Albom lifted quotes from other publications and apparently changed them, either intentionally or accidentally. In several instances, the quotes as appearing in Albom's stories "seemed to be livelier," the Free Press reported.

...Albom said in a statement Monday, "I am glad that this long investigation has validated my hard work and my reputation." In the Free Press story, he defended his practice of using quotes without attribution, saying Free Press editors "approved using quotes without attribution, which his sports editor acknowledged," the Free Press said."

7. Sam Mills 51

Unearthing this nugget from that story NX linked ...

-----

Free Press Publisher and Editor Carole Leigh Hutton denied in an interview that she had sought to water down the story. She said the lead and headline were changed to be more "newsy."

"We were just trying to be more clear and more newsy. God knows if we were about taking care of Mitch, there wouldn't have been any investigative report."

----

Is she kidding us? All she did was oversee a complete joke, deny Mitch had done ANYTHING WRONG and sent him back out after suspending him for two weeks WITH PAY.

Of course, the esteemed Ms. Hutton has proven to be a massive hit at her next stop. With Dean Singleton, anyway.

8. You can beat on Mitch and any other writer until the end of time. I'm not going to, though. But be my guest since that seems to be your platform.

9. I don't see where my comment is judgemental but whatever you say. I'm tired of this boring debate. Count me out.

10. Sam Mills 51

Guess you haven't heard that denial is something besides a river in Africa ...

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Get the money, Mitchie.

Just don't expect the majority of the truly-observant to swallow your . . . act.

12. This argument makes you sound like a dunce, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted