1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the hating begin: Adam Sandler buys Mitch Albom script...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't have to have an ounce of respect for somebody who is at the top of the profession and then chooses to MAKE SHIT UP in a column. Shoulda been out on his ass in the street after that.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm still holding out for The Buffoon movie

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, I don't think I will.

Any one of us is fired on the spot if we did what he did. He shrugs it off and gets a Free Pass from his bosses. He should have a little more self-respect before he ever gets any from anyone else.

4. And you have never done anything wrong in your entire life or career? Yeah, right. Keep throwing stones.

5. sportschick

I've never made shit up in a story. Sorry, that's inexcusable in this industry.

But thanks for stopping by Mitch.

6. I haven't made up anything either but when any of you can cast the first stone for being perfect, be my guest. And you're welcome for stopping by. I'm flattered to be put in the same category as Mitch.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So we have to be perfect to cast doubt on anything anyone does? We're not quibbling over a questionable lead, we're pointing out that he broke one of the keystone rules of professional journalism, blew it off instead of trying to understand what the fuss was about, and got a free pass where everyone in this thread would likely be not only fired, but blackballed.

This isn't about whether I'm a better writer (no), reporter (no) or person (probably not, but it's me we're talking about) than Albom. It's whether the rules are being applied fairly. And clearly they're not. And even if he defecated all 10 titles in the New York Times bestseller list tomorrow, his transgresson and his unrepentant attitude towards it remains in play.

8. sportschick

There are two things I consider inexcusable in this profession: making stuff up and plagerizing (sp). It's not about whether or not I'm perfect (I'm not). It's about the fact he gave the entire profession a black eye and didn't get canned for it.

Forgive me for expecting the best of the best in this profession to not make the rest of us look like shit.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

as usual, sc, you're right on the money.

10. Mitch Albom made you look like shit? Really. Tell me all the instances where your readers came up to you and blasted Mitch Albom, you and the entire profession. You people have some nerve.

Again, I'm sure you've all never done anything wrong personally or professionally your entire lives. I'll be willing to bet you have gotten a free pass at some time or another for something, his just happened to be exposed for everyone to see.

And it's plagarism not plagarizing.

11. I'm not saying what he did was right. I'm saying he's still a good writer and he made a mistake. We all have made mistakes, his just happened to be exposed in front of everyone.

It is beyond me why so many members on here are so quick to shread a guy like Rick Reilly or Mitch Albom. What good does it serve? Does it make you feel better? Make you feel superior?

Everyone of us knows we've all got a skeleton or two in the closet. Albom's a good writer and because he is as good as he is, he didn't get fired. The reason we would get fired is because we suck compared to him. Of course I'm disappointed in him as I am any writer when they do something stupid like that but I'm not putting myself above him and neither should any of these hacks.

12. sportschick

Sorry, but what he did was beyond a mistake. A mistake is misspelling somebody's name. A mistake is saying somebody went 4-for-5 when they really went 5-for-6.

I don't care how good a writer he is. Firing was the appropriate punishment for completely fabricating something out of thin air.

But keep condoning what he did and saying we're just 'haters' if it makes you feel better.

And I almost never rip anybody on here. Check the threads. Not my style. But Albom, well, he's earned every ounce of venom thrown his way with his lies.

Draft saved Draft deleted