1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Let Me Know When the Days of Great Sports Writing Return"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's sort of like when somebody watches Two Broke Girls and Real Housewives of Somewhere and proclaims TV today is terrible despite the fact there are more quality shows on than ever. There might also be more bad shows too, but there are tons of good choices.

2. Schottey

Schottey Member

Or, when people only judge music by what is still played/treasured/remembered and forget how much terrible stuff there was "back in the good old days" as well. Look at a top 40 chart from any time in the past 50 years and you'll find just as much garbage as there is on the radio today.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In total agreement. Most of the public enjoys being the choir to whom is preached. That's why former legit sportswriters are working for school athletic web sites and writing zero controversial stuff and not crossing control-freak coaches.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would love to see analytics on writers who receive the most adulation here.
    And I suspect them viewing their own web strikes would be positively terrifying.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let me know when guys who have been stealing money and gliding along strictly on reputation for two decades, plus, are finally isolated and picked off. Thanks.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely. Granny Rice wrote a TON of maudlin crap.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I feel like sports reporting has gotten a lot more analytical in the last couple of years. For instance, you see more and more NFL reporters doing their own "film review" the day after a game, going off either what they recorded on their TV or All-22 film available on NFL Game Rewind. I religiously follow FishDuck.com, which is dedicated to Oregon's football strategy, and they do a pretty damn good job of it too. There are more and more sites like this popping up, and I don't think that's exactly a bad thing. The flowing narrative is but one element of sports reporting.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I see Zintel's point and agree. The younger guys don't go deep enough into a story or attempt to be witty. There is talent but the market has changed dramatically. The days of the long drawn out pieces that captivate you are gone but not forgotten by this scribe.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

So does Wright Thompson.
    The only thing missing with this guy most of the time is a pan flute in the background.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Now that's funny.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

I like my "long reads" to have a point.
    And some sense of pacing.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I agree that sports sites are losing interest in long-read sports stories, because their readers have. MMQB and BR is here to stay.

That said, sports has become such a cultural interest, that if I was a writer who specialized in long-form take-outs, I would take my skills to more general (or high-brow niche) outlets, like The Atlantic, Huffington Post, Salon, NPR, CSM, Rolling Stone, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted