1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me know if you can run this and how much it'll cost.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stupid, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because the judge is a goddamn idiot. It's simple. Play all sports, regardless of gender, in the same season.

No matter who likes it or doesn't like it. You want equality, you get equality. Now live with it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While that is a great example of Starman justice (and yes, we agree the doddering old fuck is a goddamn idiot), playing all sports in the same season is not always feasible for coaching, faciities, officials or any or all of the above.
    And since there is going to be split seasons between boys and girls, the judicial system can't cherry pick the sports to appease litigants. What's next? If all soccer is played in the fall, does a girls' team sue to play on the school's stadium field on Friday nights because the football team gets to? And if the girls soccer team gets to, why not the boys?
    Where does it end?
    And Dixiehack, I had heard that the Georgia association is just dumb as rocks. But then again, so is the national federation, if for the sole reason that it made the Alabama guy head of the federation for the year,

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

If those whiny moms win, I hope they also enjoy the low-quality, stringer-written briefs without photos in the papers for the girls state championship games because the staff-written articles in highly-visible locations and staff-photographed colored pieces will be for the boys games from the same night.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

It happened in Virginia. Used to be girls hoops in the falll and volleyball in the winter. Parents sued and now it's reversed.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It did, but one of the reasons the lawsuit won was because the biggest classification played hoops in the winter and v-ball in the fall, while the lower two classifications played v-ball as a winter sport with girls' bb in the fall. Many saw it as a logistical nightmare. Especially in some counties where there was a large school and a small school.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Expendable: wasn't the suit brought on by the parents of a kid who lost her last season of eligibility because she went from a small school to a big school? I kind of recall that, but I can't say for sure.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I believe it was. Details are sketchy now, but if I recall correctly, I think it was a case involving a tennis player somewhere in the Tidewater area.

I believe all sports should be played in their respective traditional seasons, but I don't fully buy that it's a Title IX issue. In the case of the Virginia schools, however, a child shouldn't be punished because he/she had to move when a parent receives a transfer from the James River High School district in Buchanan to the James River High School district in Chesterfield.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In that instance, it would be a Title IX violation.
    But if Virginia played all girls bkb in one season and all volleyball in another, it would not be a violation.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I believe the reason the small schools did it that way was because they only had the one basketball coach for both teams, and ditto volleyball. At the larger schools, that wasn't an issue. I know they false-started on moving girls tennis from fall to spring because a lot of even the bigger schools only had one coach for both. They figured out how to do it, I guess, because that's the way now.

Soccer probably should be a fall sport here, but football wields a mighty sword and the football coaches don't want soccer teams tearing up their fields. So soccer is a spring sport, which apparently is retarding the growth of lacrosse somewhat (though it's picking up speed now).

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want to say majority should rule, fine, but don't say just because everyone else is doing it, it's right. Assanine.

You think this is discriminatory? Wait until boys and girls hoops have to share the gym. Who's gonna get the court first, or at the best time? Boys or girls? The boys, who've practiced immediately after school for 40 years, are now going to have to come back at 6:30 because the girls bitched about practice time not being fair either.

It ain't fucking broke, so get your dirty hands off it.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want to say majority should rule, fine, but don't say just because everyone else is doing it, it's right. Assanine.

You think this is discriminatory? Wait until boys and girls hoops have to share the gym. Who's gonna get the court first, or at the best time? Boys or girls? The boys, who've practiced immediately after school for 40 years, are now going to have to come back at 6:30 because the girls bitched about practice time not being fair either.

It ain't fucking broke, so get your dirty hands off it.

Tough shit for the boys' team. It isn't 1952 any more. Deal with it.

Most schools have two gyms. Games always trump practices. Varsity teams get first pick of gym time, JV get second, freshman get third. Is that really so hard to figure out?

The only way to solve it really equitably is to order complete schedule equality for all sports, and anybody who doesn't like it can go piss off.

As we've said, it will become academic in the next 10 years anyway, as high school sports wither away and are replaced by 12-month AAU teams, playing 150 games and practicing 200 days a year. Once that happens, the volleyball mommies and NBA daddies will have to pay for equality out of their own pockets.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'd agree that games trump practices, varsity trumps JV, etc. However, many schools don't have two gyms. My issue is, who gets first pick, boys or girls? How is that decided? Coin flip? Whichever team is better?

In no way is the playing season discriminatory. It's not like they make the girls play outside. This is just another case of some idiotic parents thinking their shitty little bench-warming daughter didn't get a college scholarship because Michigan has different seasons, instead of realizing their daughter is a shitty little bench warmer.

Draft saved Draft deleted