1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me know if you can run this and how much it'll cost.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stupid, Jun 12, 2006.

1. House

House Guest

The closest we get to local kids performing out of area is a college report. We'll keep up with some of the "studs" and parents will keep us updated. At that point, we check college and conference Web sites to confirm records, stats, etc. We do this roughly three or four times per year.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

We do that type of thing, Area Athletes in College, that we run whenever we have enough upates to constitute a roundup. Of course, "Area" implies that the athlete is from our area and doesn't just have 2 grandparents who live there and want to use the newspaper to brag to their friends.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

High school coaches know nothing about the law.

They want whatever will butter the bread of their own particular program.

It's irrelevant anyway -- in 10 years, the top-level college prospects, and even the mid-level ones, (in just about every sport except football) won't even play high school sports anyway. At all. They'll play 200 games a year (and practice 100 times a year) for their quasi-pro AAU travel teams.

High school sports will be left for the losers and castoffs.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

You're probably right, Starman. Though there seems to be some evidence that kids won't play anything once they hit 15 or 16 because they're already burned out. 8-year olds playing 30 baseball games a summer is beyond ridiculous.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I wonder how we'll handle that. AAU/travel sports are of a higher quality than high school sports, but nobody shows up to the games except a few parents and recruiters. If high school sports becomes B-team sports, do we care to the degree that we do now? Spend more time on travel/AAU? Forsake it all for youth sports? Fold up shop and work at Subway?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The law says nothing about when the seasons are played, Starman. If you think that, you have missed the whole point of the last 10 years and you're smarter than that.
    The basis of the suit is lost scholarship opportunities because of the change. The MHSAA isn't in business to provide scholarships.

You want fucked up? I'll give you the Alabama High School Athletic Association, which has 12 sports in the spring. There are 250 school that have some form of boys golf and 150 in girls. There are 5 classes of boys and one of girls.
    This year, the AHSAA announced it was moving the girls to the fall and adding an extra class. One coach and player from Mobile bitched and the AHSAA decided to move it back. It wasnt going to tell anyone, just do it, under the guise of Title IX. It was brought to his attention that 13 states do the split. His retort was those has always been like that and this was new, so it was a Title IX violation, overlooking the fact that if it had moved to the fall, the many football coaches who coach golf would have to give up their stipend.
    When one reporter asked the AHSAA counsel if the AHSAA director had informed him that other states do split seasons for boys and girls, the response was "Oh. (long pause). No. No he didn't."
    If you are misguided enough to think that the two basketballs playing in the same season is illegal, then EVERY OTHER SPORT PLAYED IN OPPOSItE SEASONS IS TOO.
    You can't make the exception for one and not the other.
    So please, tell me again how playing basketball in opposite seasons is discrimination for basketball, but not for soccer or golf or tennis....

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And as messed up as you think the AHSAA is, you'd spin your head and hurl split pea soup if you ever had any dealing's with Georgia's equivalent.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And,... every Michigan athletic director was ordered during last school year to come up with two sets of schedules -- one for basketball in the same seasons and one for opposite, just in case an immediate change was mandated. Not every AD made it a priority, but they were told to do it.
    So, and I never in my 25 years of running the Syndicate thought I'd say this, lighten the fuck up on the MHSAA...

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And the whiny moms who filed the lawsuit didn't care about any other sport except volleyball. They don't care what season girls' golf or girls' soccer or whatever is played in. They only care about volleyball because their daughter wasn't good enough to get a college scholarship.

TwoGloves, I believe it was 85 percent of the high school coaches wanted the seasons left as is.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It isn't. Eventually, there will be lawsuits regarding the other sports, and it will be ruled across the board: Directly comparable boys' and girls' sports, must be played during the same season. Basketball and basketball. Tennis and tennis. Golf and golf. Soccer and soccer. Lacrosse and lacrosse. Baseball and softball.

Sure, it will be inconvenient for a lot of people, difficult for some and possibly impossible for a few. But the courts won't care.

Any athletic director who couldn't get this done inside of one work week, ought to be fired at 9:00 a.m. on the Monday of the next work week.

How tough is it to simply take your fall sports schedule, go down the list for girls' basketball, and write in "girls' volleyball'?? Then do the opposite for your winter schedule.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you got Saturday morning volleyball tournaments and all that. You simply schedule nonconference games, JV or freshman tournaments during those time slots.

One thing I heard was, a lot of conferences were planning to schedule as many volleyball matches as possible for 7:30 p.m. Friday nights. :eek: :eek:

In effect, saying, "you want to play in the fall?? OK, fine, play in the fall. Have fun with your 23 spectators at your volleyball matches."

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

Tennis and tennis will never fly where I live. there's not enough courts.

Why is this even an issue? Play the damn sport when it's played and stop the whining about it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the resolution of the same suit that would have brought the basketball seasons together, Federal judge dumbass Dick Enslen also had golf and tennis swap seasons. Not to put them in the same season, but to put the boys golf, say, from fall to spring...
    Splain to me, with your vast knowledge and insight, how a judge can say separate seasons is unfair and force the move in one sport, and leave other sports alone; keeping in mind that if separate seasons is wrong for basketball, it would be wrong for every sport in every state.
    Many golf courses dont want two golf teams in the same season, but wouldnt mind spreading it out. Most schools have eight tennis courts at best, so who gets the prime practice time. Since college soccer is played in the fall, it would make sense for high schools to do the same. Since many schools share football and soccer facilities, what damage would three football and four -to-six soccer teams playing in the same season do to the field? If some states choose to play soccer in the spring, would that be discrimination because other states play in the fall and it would mean a loss of scholarships?

Draft saved Draft deleted