1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me ask this to any publicists in the house?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good contribution, swenk. Nice detail.

Can I PM you my manuscript?

2. swenk

swenk Member

Okay, but we're no longer accepting clients who take prescription painkillers. :)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She kinda reminds me of Bambi in "The Great White Hype" without all of the brains or savvy

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can, Ace, when she gets done with MINE. Get yer ass in line.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not my prescription. So am I OK, still?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

First off, I wouldn't get loopy on pain meds, but that's just me.

As a person, I'd call 9-1-1 if I felt my client was in need of medical attention. As a PR guy, my next calls would be to the media reps for the local police, EMS and hospital to advise them of the situation at hand. The more they know up front, the more they can control the information and chances for leaks lessen (but if something does leak, you have a good idea from where it came).

I don't know the full details of what happened between Owens and Etheridge, nor do I really want to know at this point. But if she was almost as loopy as Owens, then she did her client a tremendous disservice.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I should be able to jump to the front of the line because I'm good-looking, I'm biracial, I make the most money and I play for the most popular team.

8. swenk

swenk Member

Kim Etheredge??

If not, can I buy you a beer?

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You may. I enjoy Labatt Blue.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As a P.R. person how often do you spend the afternoon, dinner and into the night at your client's home? Don't you have other clients you need to take care of?

11. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Well, wouldn't that all depend on who has the best pain meds and how willing they are to share them?

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Why was she there?

This was the most bizare day in sports journalism history. It had everything you wanted:

--A drama queen overdosing on pain pills

---The police department holding a press conference and refusing to confirm or deny the info in a police report (what was the purpose of the presser?)

---A grumpy coach who walked out on the press conference (cliche)

----The drama queen acting like nothing happen. Bet he staged it just to make sure people loved him and cared about him.

And the topper: After nearly dying on pain kills, having to deny he tried to commit suicide, after saying he is not depressed we get the final question of the interview:

"Are you going to play on Saturday?"

I hope he saved some pills for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted