1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me ask this Mariotti question....Updated by Moddy.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 27, 2006.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

C'mon, Jason, get your facts straight. Moe Green was shot in the eye.

Call yourself a journalist...

If Jay sells papers, he'll be back, Albom-style.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

He might not be back.
    The paper has thrown him under the bus and hasn't stopped its own columnists from pounding on him.
    I'd like to think he sees the writing on the wall, but as this whole week/month/years have shown, Jay's not the brightest light in the harbor.

3. goalmouth, you don't come out to vegas and speak that way to man like moe green.

4. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Did Mariotti not get fired from the Sun-Times once already but used some union thing to get his job back or am I dreaming that one? Interesting haven't heard one Chicago radio host - albeit on The Score, WGN or ESPN - support him one iota.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jason, don't you ever -- EVER -- go against the family.

6. One nit to pick --
    Moe Green took one IN the eye, not between them.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

D_B'd in the same thread.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Idaho,

How long will F_B have to sit in the penalty box?

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

[​IMG]

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is an amazing story.

I can't help but wonder...if the beleaguered Dusty Baker had said it, would Mariotti's own co-workers and employer be throwing him under the bus like this? Whitlock makes a good analogy here -- all of Mariotti's enemies using this issue to take him down, at a time he's expecting support. (However, Jason, I can't believe you don't know how to spell Reinsdorf.)

It is truly incredible to see how Chicago's fans and media are rallying around Guillen -- despite the bad slur -- and using this as an opportunity to take out Mariotti. What's also clear is that Mariotti lacks a good friend who could have sat him down and told him how to handle this properly. Guillen calls him a fag, initially mocks the sensitivity classes, refuses to change the way he is, and gets off with a laugh. (And I like Guillen, respect his honesty and the way he led the White Sox from a late-season near collapse to a World Series crown. No complaints from me that his team's vorps were crap.)

Mariotti has really been neutered here.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not as incredible as yo may think.

Sportswriter uncovers scandal in a college program, reports that coach paid for players and arranged for transcripts to be falsified.

Who gets more death threats, sportswriter or coach?

Sportswriter, of course.

And at least the sportswriter in this case is doing some good.

Mariotti has done nothing that can be classified as good and is doing much that can be classified as bad.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When you spend every single day of your whole career furiously pumping piss in every direction, it can't be any surprise to get showered in it yourself when the opportunity arrives.

Draft saved Draft deleted