1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me ask this Mariotti question....Updated by Moddy.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

Is John Cruickshank still running the Sun-Times?
    If so, then it is no surprise the place is dysfunctional and paralyzed in the face of this mess.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The thing is, Jason, Mariotti already has had a daily national radio show on Sporting News Radio. It got cancelled because he was absolutely awful to listen to - shrill and irritating. During the time Bobby Knight was on the griddle for the choking tape, it was the only thing he would talk about for weeks at a time. Always, of course, Jay kept repeating he was the "lone media voice with the guts to criticize Knight", unlike all the other spineless media weasels. Most of America's listeners simply didn't enjoy hearing about Knight that much, to say nothing of Jay's self-proclaimed heroism.

Ater Jay's Sporting News flameout, ESPN Radio put him on Saturdays with Max Kellerman, and the complaints from network affiliates poured in because listeners hated it. He couldn't even make it through a year on a local radio deal in Chicago because he was such a prick. Maybe he's got a book deal in mind, because there is absolutely nowhere for him to go in radio and he's already got the closest thing he'll ever get to a TV show.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy pipeline:

Mariotti on indefinite and unplanned vacation.  Rock solid sources on this. "Allegedly" the vacation is Mariotti's choice.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least he now has the time in his busy schedule to check out a Sox game.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Vacation" just from the paper, or will he still be on ATH from his living room?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know you're at odds with your paper when they start doing gratuitous stories like this one: DITKA: I LIKE OZZIE!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-ditka27.html

''Personally, I don't really know Jay Mariotti,'' he said. ''I've heard of him. I'm sure he's probably written critical things about me. ... I guess he rips a lot of people. But you can't control what these guys write when they choose to rip you, and that's part of the problem with journalism today. Its values have changed."

7. Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

Hmmm. Is this a standing-eight count or is Mariotti stretched on the canvas with Telander's arms raised in one corner?

This "hit" really reminds me of the way Joe Pesci got whacked in Goodfellas. Mariotti thought he was going to be made after the "work" he did on Ozzie, Dusty, Shani Davis, Reseindorf(spelling), Chicago special Olympians and Mother Theresa.... Instead, all of his enemies conspired against him and took him out in the middle of what he thought would be his grandest controversy (Ozzie calling him an F).

Or will Mariotti rise up from this and settle all of his debts? Will Telander one day be taken out Mo Green style, a shot between the eyes? Or will Mariotti pop Telander in the mouth, a message hit for squealing on Jay for years of name-calling?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I am kind of curious how this might affect his ATH status ... not that I'm too eager to give the show a ratings boost to find out ...

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ditka likes Ozzie?

Well that cinches it. Mariotti is done in Chicago.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

For Eddie to place himself above and beyond the S-T is laughable.

11. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

Of course, Mariotti wanted to go on vacation. He probably thought of it immediately after he was told to show up for Sox-Cubs at Wrigley.

Ozzie used the wrong word to describe this idiot -- gutless is the proper one.

12. cubs-white sox series is the perfect time for a chicago columnist to announce his unplanned, indefinite vacation.

Draft saved Draft deleted