1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let him drown or YOU'RE FIRED!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So this is my question, were there no lifeguards on this other beach? where were they? or was this one of those unmanned beaches where you swim at your own risk?

And no, I'm not saying let em drown, I'm just very unfamiliar with the area and the beaches of FLA.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Awesome.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No. City government knows good PR when it sees it.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

That's what I get from this

you do see areas of the beach with less traffic often go without a lifeguard. You might as well put the resources where they do the most good.

that being said, going 1500 feet outside the bounds of your area is not unreasonable and the company should thank whatever chosen deity they wish that Lopez did make that call since the PR would have been 1000x worse if he had just sat there and said "well, you're all the way over there. Tough luck, man."

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What city do you live in? Surely not mine.

This is right on the money.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No more calls, please ... WE HAVE A WINNER!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, let those using this as a shot at "privatization" or the private sector in general please note that many government entities have rules and policies just as ridiculous as this and sometimes far more so, and are often just as anal about the way they enforce them (see: kids being suspended for bringing a butter knife to school, et al).

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't remember anyone supporting the fact kids got suspended for that, either.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the point might have been that "I am confident that the invisible hand would have saved him," is as meaningful as, "I am confident that FEMA would have saved him."

Stupidity is stupidity. Incompetency is incompetency.

It was a funny quip, but it really didn't make a grand statement.

If a cop brutalizes someone or a teacher has sex with one of their underage students, most people don't see it as a wholesale indictment of civil servants or publicly-provided services.

This was a story two months ago about a publicly-employed groundskeeper in Detroit who was fired when he found a loaded gun and turned it into the police. He was fired for violating policy. Similar kind of story. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/john-chevilott-detroit-groundskeeper-fired-gun-found_n_1527819.html.

It's why painting the world with a broad brush doesn't really work. The problem wasn't that the county has a Department of Public Services, rather than some privatized solution for mowing lawns. The problem was an officious idiot who punished someone for doing the right thing.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, I had no idea what the invisible hand reference was. I just assumed it was the 1,028,284th thing that Azrael said that was over my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted