1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let him drown or YOU'RE FIRED!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But this

is kind of a phony premise for your concern if this

answers it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That supervisor should be dropped off two miles offshore and told: "See how it feels."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Privatization, the miracle cure for everything.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm NOT saying let someone die! But there's a way this is supposed to be done (I suspect), and that way's been thought out in advance to ensure the maximum safety for everyone. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to find that the city stipulated in its contract how things are to be done. But all I said in my initial foray into this topic was that surely there is some limit to how far outside an assigned zone a lifeguard should go.

And I'm not insane! I've been tested ...

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Company officials on Tuesday said Lopez broke a rule that could've put beachgoers in his designated area in jeopardy. The firm could ultimately have been sued, officials said.

Well, yes. Small risk that another chain of events could ultimately lead to a lawsuit situation.

And so what? You save lives whenever the need arises and rely on common sense prevailing, in and out of the courtroom. You let your conscience be your guide, not some corporate manual.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I concede that the good doctor has a point about enforcing policy. There should be one so all employees know it.

But there is no rule in the world that is absolute, and I can't think of any better situation that cries out for an exception than this one. I would very much worry about doing business with a company that has so little common sense.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If he drove two miles down the road to do a rescue, doc has a point. Within line of sight and well within his capable range of swimming? It's nonsense to think he'd do anything else.

8. doctorquant

I think if I had decided to fire the guy (which I don't think I would have done), I'd have just stuck with the "put other beachgoers in jeopardy" justification.

9. printit

printit Member

This was really funny.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't blame the company for having the rule or the policy.

I blame the company for enforcing it.

11. printit

printit Member

This is another example of how rules are trumping common sense. Rules should be followed in games, and in constitutional law, and other places. But in life, common sense should prevail. There are too many factors that life will throw at us to ever believe that a rulebook can cover all of them. From kids getting suspended for bringing Advil to school to this nonsense....too many rules.

12. doctorquant

Does anyone here wonder if the lifeguard in question would have been fired even if the city, rather than a private company, been running the show?

Draft saved Draft deleted