1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let him drown or YOU'RE FIRED!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 4, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This disgusts me. I hope every municipality that has a contract with this company drops it:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-07-03/news/fl-hallandale-beach-lifeguards-20120703_1_lifeguard-services-jeff-ellis-beach-rescue

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rules are rules.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Human life is more important than a job. If a person sees another drowning, anyone who has the training and skills is naturally going to save that person, even it if requires "going out of our jurisdiction" and silly man-made rules.

This person should have a lot of good things happen to him the rest of his life because he saved one. Including, one can hope, a flood of job offers.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"Well, officer, I saw a person across the street having a heart attack. But I didn't have the walk signal, and I didn't want to get a ticket for jaywalking. By the time the light changed, he was dead. Sorry, but at least I followed the law!"

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

UNCALLED FOR.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's important is that we turn more and more of these jobs over to the private sector.

[Shouts "opportunity!," sets copy of Florida tax code on fire, paraglides out of sight.]

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm confident the invisible hand would have rescued him.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Jeff Ellis and Associates: Because company rules are more important than common sense

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If the lifeguard is making $8.25 an hour, can someone explain this graf to me?

10. turski7

turski7 Member

I'm not familiar with Florida law, but in some states if you have medical/CPR training and don't do anything, you can be sued/criminally charged. This guy, obviously did the only/right thing without taking into consideration any company "rules."

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not that it'll matter, but per the article he went 1,500 feet beyond the boundary of his zone. Surely everyone would agree that there has to be some limit to how far a lifeguard should go.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To save someone's life? I don't agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted