1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeRoy Butler doesn't back down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware Jason Collins killed anyone in defense of his decision to live his personal life.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's it matter? Sin's sin.

3. http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3598669/

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, that was a totally uncalled for response. Fucking idiot.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

"He said that he speaks to several churches every year, and that sponsors usually help the church raise money to cover his fee - in this case $8,500 - and in turn, donations are collected during the event to benefit the church."

I know Butler has a charitable foundation which he often donates $ to from his appearances, but I cannot say for sure that was his plan here. Either way, wanted to get that fact out there for those questioning about the $ and who haven't read the story.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Every human's head would explode if they really couldn't have it both ways (or two dozen ways).

As Descartes kind of said . . . "I rationalize, therefore I am."

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And the main tenet of Jesus' reaching out always was, "Sin no more." I guarantee you that if Jesus came back to earth and reached out to the gay community but also said, "Sin no more," the majority of the left would reject his message. After all, can't rein in "If it feels good, do it."

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do we know Jesus' thoughts on it? The Scripture quote referenced about homosexuality -- at least the one I always see mentioned -- comes from Leviticus, an Old Testament book.

In any case, what someone thought Jesus said, in a book that was first compiled a few hundred years after his death, is maybe not the best to take as, um, gospel truth. If someone published a book right now saying "oh here's what Thomas Jefferson had to say about gun control," would it become the fundamental basis of decisions affecting all of society?

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Full-derp on the first page. Well done, folks.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's the goal of the church too. But they don't have the power to shake somebody's hand once and say that as Jesus could. Most of the inclusive churches hope allowing sinners (of all stripes) into the community will impact their lives in a positive way and lead to the end the sin.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When LeBron James announced the birth of his bastard child conceived in sin outside marriage, did Chris Broussard deliver a congratulatory message or tell LeBron: "If you're openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says 'you know them by their fruits,' it says that that's a sin ... And if you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality -- adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex between heterosexuals -- whatever it may be, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and Jesus Christ, so I would not characterize that person as a Christian."

If he didn't then Broussard is a coward who can call out the last guy on the bench and be a hero to right wing Christians but if he can't call James a sinner then Broussard should shut his high yellow mouth about his religion .

By the way Mr. Broussard is your religion the same one that endorsed slavery?
    "slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5), or "tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9).

Tolerance and Diversity, like Fair and Balanced, is semantics for idiots. There are not 2 sides worth discussing in every issue. Is there a pro-rape point of view we've over looked? Does the Repeal the 13th Amendment Crowd get equal treatment with the full employment crowd?

Tolerance doesn't embody treating all opinions and cultural practices as valid or worth considering.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

PMs are for bitches, LTL, so here are my final thoughts:

Even if I overlook the fact that you are the type of terrible human being that drags family into an online argument with a stranger and give you some leeway because CB posts here, that brings up a question. What are you hoping to gain to by unnecessarily involving one of the more well-liked posters around here who goes out of their way not to offend people?

On a related note, CB is no longer a part of this board, so it would be the right thing to do moving forward for you to leave her out of this.

You like to say that you're in my head — it's one of the limited thoughts you tend to recycle — but it seems it's the other way around. What other explanation is there for you abandoning the pretense of making a point or even attempting a valid or creative response to me in order to needlessly drag into an argument a person that you have no history with and has never said a mean or malicious thing about ANYONE on this board?

I know nothing about your family, LTL, and even if I did, I would never drag them into one of our silly disagreements. A man has to have some principles, right? You probably don't understand that, but, yes, that is right. And thus the difference between us: I am a man (slightly over 40). You are a bitch.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.