1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeRoy Butler doesn't back down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, because believing a woman can't get pregnant when raped and racism are the same things as a church that believes a certain lifestyle is sinful and has scripture to back it up.

Good job.

The fact that you and others have had to go so way far out there to find extreme examples in order to try and make a case for why it is OK to be bigots towards Christians speaks volumes about how ridiculous your stance really is.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Conversely ...

"If you go searching hard enough you can find an isolated scripture to justify condemning any lifestyle.

That doesn't make it right."

Jesus reached out to the sinners and the untouchables. He was a big tent kind believer who dispensed more hugs than fire and brimstone.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, what Akin said is factually wrong and can be demonstratively proven as such.

Biblical interpretation and what is or isn't a sin and how grievous the sin may be . . . not quite as easy.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol

5. zagoshe

But "reaching out" and "condoning" and "coddling" and "patting on the head and saying 'what you are doing is OK'" are totally different things.

Christ was a radical, preached that the road to heaven was "narrow" and hard to travel.

That is not exactly an Americanized "big tent hey love every lifestyle......" thing to say.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So Campanis, then.

And the millions of people who cited the bible in denying civil rights to blacks? Are they to be lauded for the courage of their convictions?

I know zag and some others have problems with the concept of "analogy" but I think it's a relevant point for the thinking members of the board.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I suppose we could send him to a re-education camp.

8. LongTimeListener

I have no problem with Chris Broussard outing himself as unintelligent. I tolerate his lack of thought skills. I am totally tolerant of him on that.

9. zagoshe

It is not a correct analogy and it is not even close. You have a hard concept with that.

I can make an analogy about anything but that doesn't mean it is relevant.

You and pedophile man keep trying to compare apples to oranges.

But let's go here anyway - if a church held that somewhere in the bible Jesus said "people with black skin are evil" -- why would they then in turn have a person who believes black people are cool come speak to them?

And why would you expect them to?

And why would you care what they believe since you don't go to that church?

And why wouldn't you at least respect the fact that this church actually practices what it believes?

Again, your bigotry and lack of tolerance towards Christians and Christianity is no different than the bigotry you claim the people in this LeRoy Butler church are practicing.

Just admit it - you are a bigot and not tolerant.

10. LongTimeListener

I am not tolerant of the idea that people do not deserve the same basic human and civil rights, regardless of the documentation the oppressors use to consider themselves "right." Guilty as charged.

You're right, I don't care what this church does ultimately as I would never go there. I do applaud LeRoy Butler, though.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He also said loving your neighbors was as important as loving God.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Zag,

Though I disagree with the church's thoughts, I agree that we should respect their right to worship as they want. No problem, that's the heart of the First Amendment.

My problem is with churchs that feel the need to CONVERT those that believe differently and condemn them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.