1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L'Equipe and doping stories/allegations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's true. I managed to roughly translate when I was in France (every story told me the Brewers ruled hard), I picked it up everyday. Seriously, it was a good publication.

And, yeah, most of the animosity stateside is because its a foreign paper. And horror of horrors! It's French!

2. My sources say that the editors of L'Equipe had to have their stomachs pumped because of abnormally high levels of sperm.

Or maybe that was Rod Stewart?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I guess I should clarify my first post by pointing out that Floyd Landis' failed test was just that -- a failed test. It didn't have anything to do with investigative journalism.

It also seems that, with Thorpe now confirming that he was told he failed a test, L'Equipe got the story right, and the shady ethics here lie with whatever FINA clown, or WADA clown, or ASADA clown, leaked the info to the paper.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Ogre,

If this account is accurate, then Thorpe didn't test positive for illegal substances--in fact his tests showed irregular levels of endogenous substances. Been over this before: the testosterone test measures the level of T:E, the ratio of T to epitestosterone, which no one knows FA about. It's bad science. Look at the test criteria: 1:1 is normal, 6:1 - 9.9:1 suspicious and 10:1 and above positive. But no one can say if those high ranges are the presence of more T or less E. Foreign substances, cut and dried. Endogenous substances, much harder to say what's in play--with the available science today, tomorrow who knows.

YHS, etc

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thorpe cleared of doping by Australian Doping Authorities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-thorpedc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Draft saved Draft deleted