1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leonard drops the mic on Jeopardy!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Grantland's Jay Kang had a great comment on the white dude:

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't think he got lucky, but he just played the percentages. Would have looked like an idiot if he lost, but I doubt anyone would remember it for long.

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Not as cool without the afro

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if he was watching the other contestants and knew the only guy who could catch him was struggling?

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

1. Jay Kang is a douchebag. So is anyone with the middle name Caspian.

2. Way to pick on an awkward teen. Like I said: Douchebag.

6. Not sure he was really playing the percentages. The other kid either gets it right or he gets it wrong. Maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in assuming he just miscalculated because if he did that knowing full well he could lose, it's not ballsy, it's stupid.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

When did they change that rule? I guess it's to keep someone from running away with it on day one and making day two rather meaningless. Still, with the point values nowadays, seems like no first-day lead would be safe.

Also, how freaking easy are the Teen Jeopardy questions? Twelve Angry Men? On a Daily Double? I'm sure they weren't that easy when I was that age.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Here is some video from it:

If you watched it with the sound off, it's almost a parody. The kid in the middle stepped out of central casting as a miniaturized version of Greg Marmalard's roommate at the Omega Theta Pi house. ... and Leonard looks like Chris Rock doing Nat X.

I have no idea if he miscalculated, or what was going through his head, but the only thing better would have been, "I don't know the answer Alex, but shut the fuck up and pay me."

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think it would still be ballsy. And if the other kid gets it right and bets $6500 or less he still loses if I'm reading the numbers right. So the kid played the percentages, and possibly realized the kid was struggling as well.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's not like it was an impossible category, either. I'd think military history questions would be among the most correctly answered for a bunch of teen boys like that. I would have gotten it when I was a teen. Granted, I was a history buff, but I also wasn't in the Teen Jeopardy finals.

My point is, it seems ridiculous to count on someone getting THAT category wrong, so I lean toward "got lucky" rather than "astute observation." If the category was "Early Secretaries of the Interior" I'd feel differently.

Draft saved Draft deleted