1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leonard drops the mic on Jeopardy!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Feb 13, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/50788/the-jeopardy-teen-tournament-just-got-real

That was incredible.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not about a salary; it's all about reality.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Holy shit, that was fantastic. I hear Leonard is related to Billy Ocean too.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Freaking fantastic.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That took balls because he did not have that thing won until the first kid got the answer wrong. The kid in the middle couldn't have caught his two-day total, but if that little indian kid gets the answer right, Leonard loses.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Incorrect. The Indian kid had $14,400. Leonard had $37,000. He actually could have lost $8,000 on the bet and still won.

C'mon man. Leonard don't play.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Wrong.

After Day One: Indian Kid 19000 Pointdexter 17600 Leonard 3000

Day 2, going into Final Jeopardy: Indian Kid 14400 Pointdexter 9000 Leonard 37000

The Indian kid actually bet 7000 in Final Jeopardy. Had he got it right, his two day total would have been 40,400. (19,000 from day 1; 21,400 from day 2). Leonard could have lost by $400.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Go back and watch the video. They "wiped out" the first day totals before they started the second show.

In the final minute, Leonard had $18.2K in second-day winnings and then he won an $18K Daily Double to give him $36.2K. He answered an $800 question (unseen on the video clip) to give him $37K entering Final Jeopardy.

Adding that to his $3,000 first-day winnings gave him $40K total.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow, shit. Yeah, my bad. Apologies to the Pontiff.

That takes some fucking balls. Holy cow.

11. I have a feeling it wasn't about having balls and more about his not doing the calculations correctly. It's pretty funny but he got lucky.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I was rooting for him all along. I mean, you've gotta love a kid who shows up for the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament with an afro. I'd have been OK with the Indian kid winning, but the dork in the middle came off like a stuffed shirt.

BTW, I recall a similar finish in one of the college tournaments, when a guy from Rutgers, who looked and acted like just another dude from the Deke house, had the title sewed up by Final Jeopardy, and his answer was, "Who is someone I've never met?"

Draft saved Draft deleted