1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leon tells the truth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Panetta said information came from people who were waterboarded. He did not say information came as a result of waterboarding.

Reading is fundamental.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not that the trolls care, but here is the full exchange between Brian Williams and Panetta regarding waterboarding:

BW: Can you confirm that it was as a result of waterboarding that we learned what we needed to learn to go after bin Laden.

LP: You know, Brian, in the intelligence business you work from a lot of sources of information and that was true here. We had a multiple series of sources that provided information with regards to this situation. Clearly some if it came from detainees and the interrogation of detainees but we also had information from others sources as well, from signet(???) intelligence from imagery from other sources that we had, assets that we had on the ground, and it was a combination of all of that, that ultimately we were able to put together, that led us to that compound. So it's a little difficult to say that it was due just to one source of information that we got.

BW: Turned around the other way, are you denying that waterboarding was in part among the tactics used to extract the intelligence that led to this successful mission.

LP: No, I think some of the detainees, clearly, they used some of these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of these detainees, but I'm also saying the debate about whether we would have gotten the same information through other approaches is always going to be an open question.

BW: So, finer point, one final time, enhanced interrogation techniques, which has always been kind of a handy euphemism in these post 9/11 years, that includes waterboarding?

LP: That's correct.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#42886480

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#42886480

3. Point of Order

Looks to me like it's an out-of-context bastardization of Panetta's full remarks with the aim of vindicating war criminals and their crimes.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Torture! Fuck yeah!

What the hell is wrong with some of you?

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Looks to me like a liberal absolutely refusing to accept the truth...even when it is staring him in the face. Big surprise.
    Take it for what you will, if you want to keep the "Bush is a war criminal" rant going, good on ya. However, you are not convincing anyone. Also, say it had nothing to do with waterboarding. Say the information ALL came from people interrogated peacefully at Guantanamo Bay, that they gave them cookies and drinks and made sure they were comfortable...who was it that wanted to close Guantanimo Bay the first day in office? Who was it that, if he had been true to his word and not just kept the policies of the former regime of "war criminals" would not have had this "great victory" of having bin Laden killed on his watch? Who was it that wanted to close the prison that supplied all the information for this particular military action? Yeah, that's what I thought.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is someone endorsing torture? Hmmm...I didn't get that. I thought this was a thread pointing out that the director of the CIA's response to being asked if any of the information gleaned from waterboarding played a part in the killing of bin Laden. If someone is endorsing torture they should really stop...that is not what we are about.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought this was a thread about some dipshit trying to call "scoreboard!" on some mythical internet toteboard only he cares about ... but that's just me.

One who's dipshitery is so ingrained, he feels the need to carry the torch for torture into yet another inane SJ pissing match.

I'll even throw you an internet bone. Sure. Maybe we did use torture. As a nation, we've done damn near every other thing in our history that goes against our high-minded exceptionalism and values, so why wouldn't we torture? We've probably always tortured.

Go on. Wave the flag. Fly your red, white and blue because you're so damn proud of it.

Meanwhile, pardon me if I think you and those who feel as you do are so completely morally repugnant that you may end up far closer to bin Laden in the afterlife than you can ever dream.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Game, Bubbler. Set, Bubbler. Match, Bubbler.

9. Point of Order

Compare CB's quote from the link to the actual transcript. Not surprisingly, the story CB links misquotes what was actually said, intentionally I'd say.

The quote "[and] they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of those detainees..." from CB omits the bulk of Panetta's answer to that specific question, omits an entire follow-up question from Williams, and omits half of the response to that follow-up question, and presents it as if it is basically one continuous quote from Panetta. If any of us did that with a coach or an athlete I would hope that person would be fired.

Here's CB's post:

Here's the actual Q & A as I transcribed it from the video linked below:

Shame on you.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

1. The entire premise for this thread is bullshit.

2. WTF is the Daily Caller? I've never fucking heard of it, and judging by Carlton's past choice in reading material, who in the fuck even knows?

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Funny how the name-callers here feel so free to do so with protective internet annonimity. So, I am a dipshit. Great. Tell you what, we can hash it out at recess. Only when you get off the jungle gym. This childishness is what you have for me?
    By the way, no one was saying you thought we didn't torture. In fact, you and other libs have a hard-on for the so-called torture Bush and Cheney were "responsible" for. In fact, you are one of the last people on Earth I would say thinks we did not torture anyone.

And, personally, I abhor torture. I abhor journalists getting their heads lopped off. I grieve for the people who have spent decades in Castro's prisons, all because they do not buy into a certain political mindset. It disgusts me that women are stoned to death for walking in public with a man that is not a husband or relative.

However, when the HEAD of the CIA makes a claim that appears to go against the White House message, I think it is important to discuss. There is no scoreboard. There is no carrying the banner for torture. There is only a newsworthy event that should be mentioned and discussed. If this event makes you uncomfortable because it goes against your political ideaology or thoughts, tough shit. Grow up and handle it like an adult.

12. Point of Order

Stop lying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.