1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leon tells the truth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Now can we quit the bickering about this?

CIA Director Leon Panetta stomped on the White House’s political script when he told Tuesday night’s broadcast of NBC Nightly News that the waterboarding of jihadi detainees contributed information that led to the location and killing of Osama bin Laden.

“We had multiple series of sources that provided information with regards to this situation… clearly some of it came from detainees [and] they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of those detainees,” he told NBC anchor Brian Williams.

When asked by Williams if water-boarding was part of the “enhanced interrogation techniques,” Panetta simply said “that’s correct.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/03/torturous-evasions/#ixzz1LMH1K7W6

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You couldn't have posted this in the Osama thread we have already?

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You mean the 60-page thing that is going to get locked soon because it has turned into a pissing contest between the same four or five people? No. I'll pass.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has said -- OK I shouldn't say "anyone" because there will always be some kooks out there -- that torture would never yield useful information. The argument has been about whether it is a complete dismissal of American values. The old Bush cliche "If we change, the terrorists win" gets a stern test here, because this is a definite change from previous procedures.

Truthfully I don't know exactly how I feel about it as an information-gathering tool. I do know, however, that the United States has lost the moral high ground to demand the release or at least the humane treatment of our own soldiers. And that's a scary thought.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

All right, they tortured them. We got that out of the way. Now, is there any proof that the specific technique of waterboarding provided any credible information? Or was most of the useful information obtained by other more scientifically proven methods?

Let's say the CIA did pull a nugget out of its ass when it tortured. Exactly how much under-duress-say-anything-to-make-it-stop bullshit did they have to waste their time on to garner anything of importance?

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Did you even read the link? No one was disputing what you are arguing. But Panetta is clearly saying that waterboarding did produce information that led to the killing of bin Laden. Clear as day. And I have no idea how much "bullshit" information they got...the article does not touch on that. Maybe you should do some research and find out.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nouveau birtherism.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is this just a point for the record, or part of whole-hearted support of waterboarding. And this thread will get locked first

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So you are calling Leon Panetta, the head of the CIA, a "Nouveau Birther?" Is that what you are getting at?

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It is an absolute point for the record. Here is the director of the CIA admitting that Waterboarding led to information that helped kill bin Laden. Completely going against the White House message. What, is that not worthy of pointing out? Does that not deserve its own thread? Is that something you are not comfortable with? Would you rather it be buried at the bottom of an old thread that has pretty much run its course, that recently had jokes about fluffing goats? If that's your thing, cool. However, this is important.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yep, this one gets the Master waterboarding first

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Wow...how witty. Real knee-slapper. Anyhoo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.