1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leon Lett ain't got nothing on this kid.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

OK, we all know you shouldn't celebrate in the middle of a football play but, what about if you think the game is over?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you, hands down, the biggest, most boneheaded play by a football player in history. Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but, please, tell me how this happens. (It's around the 1:30 mark)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

we had a kid in the area spike the ball on fourth and goal from the one this year, I'll have to get him this video so he won't feel as bad anymore.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Pervis Pasco doesn't think it was that bad.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is the automatic touchback not a national high-school federation rule anymore? Was it ever at any point? Or was that just a state-by-state thing that happened to be in place in the states I worked in?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kieth Nichol, the backup QB from MSU... his brother spiked the ball on fourth down in the state playoffs, may have been the state championship game. It was a few years ago so I do not remember.

Anyway, why didn't the coach get his players out of the endzone? What good could come of it?

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Saw something almost as spectacularly bad in the first game I covered this year.

Home team is up by 1, gets the ball back with about a minute left, about 13 yards from the end zone, and could've EASILY scored to put the game away. But no, they decide they want to run out the clock (the road team, which was the team I was there to cover, had a couple of time outs).

First down, they just kneel on it. Second down he backs up five yards or so and kneels on it. Third down, he runs around some more and kneels on it.

Now, the QB started the game with 276 yards rushing. With 10 seconds left to play, he gets the snap and sprints straight backward, wanting to run out the clock. He's about to run through the end zone (which would've been a safety and a loss) when he goes down at about the 2 like he got shot. Kid forgot the situation and somebody got his attention just in time to avoid disaster.

So after starting the last drive with 276 yards rushing, he finished the game with 190. And I still can't figure out what the hell the coaches were thinking.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder how many parents called up that TV station to complain, "You only cover us when our kid spikes the ball on the last play and blows the game!"

Closest thing I saw to something like that was in the sectional finals of a high school softball game. Two out in bottom of seventh. Visiting team losing by 1 run, with a runner on second. Visiting batter hits grounder to second. Second baseman throws low to first, beating the runner. First baseman somewhat makes a scoop in the dirt, although the ball appeared to bobble in the glove. The field umpire, right behind the first base bag, doesn't see the ball pop out and calls the runner out. Home team begins jumping up and down and cheering and runs off the field to celebrate.

Meanwhile, the runner went to third, and just kept running home. Visiting team coach goes out to appeal to the home plate ump, who tells the field ump about the ball (I couldn't tell if it was just bobbled a little, or if it really was dropped. Naturally, the first baseman told me after the game that she had held on). Field ump reverses call, and the tying run counts.

Teams go to extra innings under the tiebreaker rule of putting a runner on base. Visiting team wins in the first extra inning.

That was a fun story to write.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

No scholarship for you!!

Seriously... what an embarrassing play.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have covered probably 200 high school football games and have not once seen a game where a boner such as this resulted in a loss.

I don't even know how I would write it. Does. Not. Compute. boing

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I covered that game. You knew the ball was going in as soon as it left that Colorado kid's hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted