1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 20, 2007.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Anyone who knows me knows this is going to be bad.

Last year, I walked in the MS Walk, and am going to do it again thisn year. Well I swear a lot and say JC/GD a lot. Sooooooo for Lent, I'm giving up swearing with the intention being to give it up. But, as an incentive, I'm going to put $1 in a jar for every swear word or GD/JC, then donate it to the MS Society.

I figure if I get to like $100, I'm going to HAVE To force myself to stop, because I'll go hungry.

Am I cheating?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yes, Fmr. You are cheating. God would not want you to help the MS society.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'm not Catholic, but my wife is. So she makes me give up something for lent so I can be a good example to our children since we had to sign their life away to the Pope.

So I have to choose something to give up; it won't be coffee I know that.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fast food.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I may give up candy. I have an undying love for Reese's and Hot Tamales... not together of course.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In my younger years I used to give up alcohol for lent and it wasn't that difficult.

The last few years I just kind of stopped giving up stuff (other than, of course, meat on Ash Wed and Fridays) but think I should probably give up something. Problem over the past few years has been that my annual cruise always falls during lent, and a cruise week is not a week to be giving up stuff.

As someone noted above, swearing is something I, too, should definitely give up. When I worked for AP in NYC 20-some years ago, the phrase "Come Fucking on!" was immediately tabbed a (mylastname)ism. If anyone from that that office back then is on here I've just outed myself. Oh, well.

Definitely got to stop the GDs, the JCs and (in my opinion) the absolutely worst G-Fing-D and J-Fing-C. Said those enough that I fear a long sentence in purgatory if I don't change my ways.

To answer your questions, yes, born and raised and still Catholic. Even did K-8 catholic school.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Working. Oh wait, that was last month.

Not sure what I'll give up this year. Last year, it was soft drinks. Thought it would have been hard, but it really wasn't. I've given up alcohol before as well. And gambling. Maybe I'll give up cussing this year.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I like the idea of putting something in a jar everytime you break your lent promise. When I was in high school and angry at the world, my youth director at my church made me write three nice things everytime I said something negative. I shaped up pretty fast having to do that. :D

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thank God I'm a Presbyterian.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Booze. Did it last year, will do it again.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I can't decide between: Making left turns or ending my sentences with a period!

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Killing strippers.

We've had a lot of laughs tonight, but you know what isn't funny? Killing strippers. Strippers are people too ... naked people who may be willing to pleasure you for a price you negotiate later behind the curtain of a VIP room. Besides, there's no reason to kill them, because most of them are already dead inside...Good night, folks!

Draft saved Draft deleted