1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leno doesn't want step aside for Conan in 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jay is privately grumbling that he'd like to stick around.

Perhaps he's been revitalized by O.J. getting in trouble and a Clinton eyeing the Whitehouse again.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-leno15oct15,1,3929945,full.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

"It's 1992 all over again," said Warren Littlefield, a TV producer who was NBC's entertainment president during the Leno-Letterman battle. "They are right back in the same situation, despite the fact that they wanted to avoid that. History may be repeating itself for NBC."

Go away, you unfunny tool.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I still laugh so hard that I cry when I hear the old CD with Bill Hicks' impersonations of Jay Leno.

Something about Leno realizing what a shill he was, and blowing his brains out in his office. The brain matter, of course, formed a peacock on the wall — "A company man to the end," Hicks said.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Johnny Carson's rotting corpse could do a better monologue than Jay Leno...

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Leno should switch to 12:30 slot so he can put people to sleep after Conan winds the crowd up at 11:30!

5. 1992 all over again? Please..late night talk shows and the matter of who hosts them are nowhere near as relevant or important to the public as it was in 1992....

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The crime with Jay Leno is not that he's unfunny. It's that he's very funny and sharp, but has dumbed down his act because he thinks that is what he needed to get his job.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In many ways, his real act would fly better at 12:30.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

Well put. The reason I don't like Leno's show is that all of his interviews seemed scripted to the exact words. Conan's interviews may follow a certain path, but there's always a chance he and the guest could go careening off into a direction you never expected. That chance doesn't exist with play-it-safe Jay.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Pimpbot needs to slap him silly!

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Or perhaps the Coked-out Werewolf can hook Jay up.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with the Leno used to be funny line of thinking. As soon as he took over full-time his jokes became woefully predictable and hackneyed. They should just tell Jay that he can stay in Burbank for as long as he wants and NBC will never force him out of there. (they're moving the show to Universal Studios).
    But I do wonder how Conan will translate to 11:30 p.m. Letterman became more corporate and less edgy in that spot and I don't see NBC allowing ratings to slide if he turns off Middle America...oh wait this NBC and Jeff Zucker is still in charge. Of course they will.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Leno was a great stand-up comedian back in the day, but he turned into Captain Kangaroo when he got The Tonight Show. Letterman has had some great moments, and he's a funny guy, but he can't compare to Johnny Carson.

There is one guy who reminds me a lot of Carson, who was as big an influence on my life as anyone outside my family.

And that guy is Jon Stewart. You can see a lot of Carson in Stewart, almost everywhere you look. He makes me laugh the way Carson made me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted