1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leno at 10 p.m.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. I've watched a few times and have not been impressed.

When Letterman has his A-game, nobody is better, but that only happens a few times a year if he has a Julia Roberts, Howard Stern, Bruce Willis as a guest. The rest of the time he phones it in.

Kimmel is the best of the bunch. I find it funny that the guy with the best monologue is the guy with no stand-up experience. I get the sense that the guests relate to him and like him better than with Letterman and Leno.

Last night was the classic example of why Leno sucks. If you can't have a good show with Seinfeld, Oprah and three months to prepare, it just shows how pathetic he is.

I love Conan, but he's a bad fit at 11:30. I agree that if Leno gets first shot at the A-listers, it's going to kill the Tonight Show.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jimmy Norton... on Leno?

Holy shit.

Seems real incongruous.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was really funny with Norton there, and also really against type for Leno. The questions he had with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were also both funny and at times risque for Leno. It was interesting.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bring back the Dancing Itos.

Dressed as cats (Itos Dressed as Cats! Itos Dressed as Cats!)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Norton was on The Tonight Show pretty regularly, or at least as regularly as a comedian who lives and works in NYC can be on a show in LA.

His appearances were some of the rare times I watched The Tonight Show. That guy is fucking hilarious.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Man some of it was bad tonight. The back-to-school stuff at the end was moronic and the 10 questions with Miley Cyress? No. 3, what foods don't you eat. Is he serious?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that they think the bits at the end will keep people tuned in - with the exception of headlines, I find those segments typically the weakest part of Leno's show. I liked seeing Michael Moore sing (not that he was good or anything, but seeing celebs taken out of their comfort zone is never a bad thing).

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Anybody still watching? My God it was bad tonight. The piece in Harlem wasn't funny at all (how did they let that on the air?) and Pee-wee Herman wasn't funny at all. This is beyond awful.

9. DanOregon

The ratings fell to 5 million watchers last night - if it can hold a 5 mil audiences, not harm the late local news, NBC will keep it going at least until they can get some decent hour-long shows they like better. I doubt they'll just yank it. More likely, they'll cut it back to the nights it does best, kind of like Deal or No Deal.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Saw a preview graph on tvguide.com that said he was going to do something called "10 at 10." Is he ripping off Letterman's top 10 list?

11. DanOregon

It's closer to Kilbourne's Daily 10, asking 10 random questions of guests.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would Leno even answer this question? It's not very cool of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted