1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leno at 10 p.m.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, 10 minutes into it and I've yet to chuckle. And "The Prime Time Band"? You had three months off. You couldn't have, you know, maybe learned a new song or two? Huh? Playing into the commercials with the same old shit they did on the Tonight Show.

F*ck you, NBC.

2. Killick

Alright. Held out for as long as I could. 10:18 p.m., and I changed the channel. God-awful.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's not interviewing from behind a desk anymore, he's in a chair next to another chair. Revolutionary stuff.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I liked the Pat Sajak show better than this.

I liked the Joan Rivers show better than this.

I liked Morton Downey Jr.'s show better than this.

5. Killick

The Chevy Chase Show?
    The Magic Hour?
    The Medical Channel's 3-hour coverage of penile implant surgeries?

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Jesus, was he easy on Kanye West or what? I know it ain't 60 Minutes but asking him about his mother made him seem almost sympathetic. How about this, Jay: Ask him what went through his mind before he did something so stupid, rude and hurtful.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've never thought Leno was funny, and tonight he lived up to that expectation. Interviews were weak, the "interview" with Obama was a total dud and even Headlines weren't any good tonight. Jaz-Z, Rhianna and (I hate to say it) Kanye were entertaining.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Points are probably all valid, but so is this one: The show isn't aimed at you.

It's geared to Mr. and Mrs. Walmart Shopper in South Dakota, the people who don't "get" or like The Tonight Show since Jay left. It doesn't have to get big ratings -- and it won't -- but it still has the potential to be a big profit center for NBC because it's cheap to produce, especially compared to the usual 10 p.m. scripted show.

It's like McDonald's -- safe and consistent and convenient. People know exactly what they're going to get, and that makes them comfortable enough to visit regularly.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am not any kind of TV expert, but if you never found Leno funny, why were you watching in the first place?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because he wanted to see the overwhelming talent that is Kanye West?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed that one for you, S-P.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Someone care to translate this from Kanye to English:

"So many celebrities, they never take the time off," he said. "I've never taken the time off to really — you know, just music after music and tour after tour. I'm just ashamed that my hurt caused someone else's hurt. My dream of what awards shows are supposed to be, 'cause, and I don't try to justify it because I was just in the wrong. That's period. But I need to, after this, take some time off and just analyze how I'm going to make it through the rest of this life, how I'm going to improve.".

Draft saved Draft deleted