1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lenny Dykstra is a busy man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, Dec 18, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ATM: A Cash Cow or just a cow

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Doesn't the NFL have seminars in 2 or 3 places around the country before training camp where they bring in all the high draft picks and teach them now to protect their money and their identity?
    I remember reading about one in San Diego a couple of years ago. Lesson No. 1, buy a document shredder. It went on from there.
    But, considering the NFL, I guess nobody listens.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Update: Lawyers are involved, the magazine company is pissed and freelancers aren't getting paid.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05282008/business/freelancers_strike_out_112854.htm

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The NFL Symposium. It's mandatory and they hit them with a ton of stuff from watching who you associate with to financial management. They drill the stuff in over and over again... You can lead a horse to water, but...

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Didn't Nails talk about the mag in his interview/blowjob on HBO's Real Sports a while back?

rb

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Only in passing, really.

The guy's supposedly some kind of financial savant, though all I really took away from that piece was how much he now resembles Larry Flynt (without the wheelchair).

7. Six months later and another story idea:

Gamblers' Anonymous:
    Five ways to keep your huge gambling debts out of the media, co-written by Charles Barkley and Pacman Jones.

I should put these in a column.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Dykstra is also running a money management fund for athletes. From Fortune Magazine:

The Player's Club hasn't signed up its first player yet, but it will require each one to invest at least $250,000. Professional money managers of Dykstra's choosing will manage the assets.

I believe that the fees he charges are significant.

As well, he is a columnist for Street.com and occasionally shows up giving investment advice on CNBC and Fox News

Draft saved Draft deleted