1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lenny Dykstra is a busy man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/business/media/17athletes.html?ref=media

Thoughts on this, from a journalism perspective? Can a magazine like this last, or is the target audience too small? Given the demographic makeup of today's athletes, should this magazine be published in Spanish and Japanese, too?

2. Seems like a consulting firm would be more profitable and useful than a magazine. I'd hate to be Travis Henry, waiting around for the January issue of "The Players Club", hoping they did an article on "Keeping baby momma's in check without the paycheck."

And what, no mention of his car washes?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Given Dykstra's famously brief attention span, I'll believe this when I see it.

To answer Cadet's question: I think this mag could work...I'd imagine high-end advertisers would be all over themselves trying to end up in the mag. You know the publisher would send dozens of free copies to every team in the three major leagues (OK, fine, 3 1/2), so the eyeballs per copy ratio would be impressive.

And yes, I think a Spanish-language version is even more necessary than an English-language version.

Oh, and doubledown media? Cool. we have two entrepreneurs among us!!! :D

4. Actually, the story ideas and headlines for this magazine are endless. Where do I apply?

Needle in a haystack:
    How to hide your steroid payments from authorities.

Shaqing Up:
    Top 10 ways to pay off the hos so no one knows.

Mother Load: Keeping the baby mommas in check without losing your paycheck

Vicktim: How the quarterback could have broken the law AND kept his signing bonus.

Richy Rich:
    How to screw over your team AND keep your signing bonus.

Making it Rain Fund: A column from PacMan Jones on the importance of setting aside money in the event you commit a felony.

Pettite Cash:
    Learn from Andy - take the fat contract THEN admit to steroid use.

Romo and Juliet:
    The importance of focusing on the ball and not the babes.

Brady Bunch: Being the best baby daddy you can be.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those are excellent. Another Pac-Man Jones one:

Pac-Man Fever: How To Make It Rain Gunfire And Get Away With It

Put Up Your Dukes: Elijah Explains Why His Bitches Deserved It

Tomfoolery: How Brady Tricked Everyone Into Thinking He's The All-American Boy

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Friend of mine used to transfer cars from point A to point B for Nails, when the latter played for the Jackson Mets and even into his NY days.
    Was good work, and lucrative.
    I'm not sure if they fell out of touch or what. Need to check on that.
    Has the Lenny managed his own money well and is he doing fine these days?

7. lono

lono Active Member

Street & Smith's briefly had a similar controlled-circulation mag called Pro in the late 1990s. To get it, you had to be a professional athlete or an agent. It had articles about money management and the lifestyles of the rich & famous, but it didn't last more than a year or so.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The magazine is a great idea, but it is already being done in slightly different forms. Former NFL Player Ryan McNeil does one that has a lifestyle focus, as well as a business focus. It is really slick, printed up on thick glossy stock (it feels like a small issue of Vogue) and even though I don't know how much a page fetches in ad revenue, it has some upscale ads. They send out about 25,000 free copies to pro athletes, owners, agents, etc. and the thing has been successful as far as I know.

That would be the first thing that would make me hesitate... It's already being done. But the idea works on many levels. If you can work with the various players associations and get lists of names and addresses, you save yourself the circulation development expense, which is the real bitch in a magazine launch. The problem is getting the players associations to cooperate and give you the names and addresses, and they guard those tightly. I am sure they can be bought for a price, but the price is going to be steep. If you have the money to do that, though, you can have a really small, controlled circulation, even as small as just a few thousand readers, and as long as those readers are multimillionaires, and you can qualify them as readers, you WILL be able to sell some juicy advertising. Dykstra (or rather someone at Doubledown Media) is not the first to have this idea... I'll be following this one, because Doubledown Media, which is behind this, has got the model for these high net worth circ magazines down pat.

9. Wasn't Dykstra's first public vice a serious addiction to games of chance?
    I don't think I'll be taking investment and money management advice from Nails, thanks.
    Didn't Phil Hartman do this skit as Telly Savalas on SNL?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In addition to these two there also needs to be the following article:
    Condoms: A Smart Investment - Avoid making child support payments to those hos on the road by spending just a couple of dollars on a condom before getting down to business.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Manage your money wisely with a new method: Pulling out.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Finishing On Her Grille: The New Way To Invest
    By West Coast Vol :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted