1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lenny Dykstra - HOF (dumbass)?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, yeah.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Uber driver probably wanted to strangle him after he wouldn't shut up about Gretzky's house.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Feels like you could start this thread every six months.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What, just on Lenny alone? Or other knuckleheaded adventurers added in too?

I miss Tonya Harding hubcap stories. Those had a trailer park trashy uniqueness to them. Almost WWE too.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You know, I hung out with Lenny Dykstra at his house in Cali once. It was down the hill from Gretzky's. Lenny's house was pretty fucking amazing. Huge, manicured, right on the golf course. He owned a chain of car washes at the time. Happy wife, good kids.

We stood in the driveway, and he looked up at Gretzky's house, and he said: "I'm going to own that fucking place one day."

And that house was the start of everything going wrong for post-baseball Lenny Dykstra. I think about it all the time, the jealousy and avarice and how it took everything from him.

In the words of the great @Elliotte Friedman: Don't fuck with happy.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I read this story on CBS Sports. I know this is ridiculous nitpicking, but I have to say the word "beeped" seemed awkward to me. I would have just gone with the straightforward "honked." Heck, you don't even need "his horn."

The driver then drove to the police station and beeped his horn until officers responded.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs W and I ran into him at the gym of a fancy hotel in LA when we were attending a wedding about 15 years ago. He was totally out of his mind and we both thought that he was an OD waiting to happen.

And not to disparage a place 15 minutes from me, but if he lives in Linden, that’s quite a fall.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I know you wrote OD, but it reminded me: Dude has the worst case of OCD I've ever seen in the flesh. He would have to check to see if certain rooms... Not if they had been damaged or messed with, but if they were still physically there. Just consumed by demons. He's one guy where I believe the drugs allow him to function. Or at least semi-function.

Draft saved Draft deleted