1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lenny Bruce

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I just started a bio on Lenny Bruce and his various criminal prosecutions for vulgarity.

I was wondering if anyone here ever saw his act or interviewed him.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Your only chance is Spinited or the new guy Jacky. :)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

HB already asked me.. I'm too young to have seen Bruce in his prime.
    Jacky, however .... now he's an old man.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The book came with a CD of his act and it's amazing how it still holds up. Just really phenomenal stuff.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just yanking your chain, Spinited.

I read a bio of Bruce a number of years ago. I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY ahead of this time.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The author in the bio I'm reading wrote that Bruce wouldn't be impressed with today's comics, who spend their time making fun of the less fortunate instead of power brokers. Lenny made fun of religion and political leaders whereas the Howard Sterns make fun of people with medical and/or mental problems.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

in his autobio, Dick Schaap wrote that he took Bruce to the final game of the 1960 World Series, the only baseball game Lenny said he'd been to.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

One of the district attorney's who prosecuted Lenny Bruce for exercising his 1st Amendment rights was Johnny Cochran. Interesting twist, Cochran got his legal start as a right wing jackbooted thug, ended up as a left wing jackbooted thug.

Draft saved Draft deleted