1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner defend 'Girls' writer amid sexual assault claim: "We stand by Murray"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dunham’s statement is so indicative of why tribalism is dangerous. “I am a ‘feminist.’ Therefore, I believe ‘X.’ Even though it occasionally puts me in a position where I end up looking stupid and, thus, sets back the cause of, well, feminism.”

This urge to self-identify with an arbitrary group, whether it is a political party or a movement, man, I don’t always get it. Have a worldview. Have principles. But your worldview and principles should be a result of critical thinking, not an abdication of it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you don't see what's so gross about the statement, then I'm not sure I'll be able to explain it to you.

If you do see the problem, I’m not sure why you need me to go through the exercise of explaining it.

3. Dick Whitman

Her apology only further reveals how insufferable she is.

Read it. She doubles down on her assertion. This was just the “wrong time” to use her “powerful voice.”

4. Dick Whitman

“Under patriarchy, ‘I believe you’ is essential. Until we are all believed, none of us will be believed.”

This is the position endorsed by SJ.com, no? Seven pages of what a fool she is, but her position seems indistinguishable to the position held by most here. Remember: It was OK to say Reese Witherspoon “revealed” sexual assault. It would not have been OK had she named a flesh-and-blood perpetrator.

Everyone - Lena included - “believes” an accusation against a hypothetical perpetrator. That’s easy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's powerful on Manhattan and the Hamptons. It's merely comical anywhere else.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Only President Trump has a higher ratio of opening mouth/stepping in dogshit.

This woman is a complete fucking idiot.

7. Dick Whitman

She’s self-righteous and rigidly judgmental. It’s fun to take her down for the same reasons it’s fun to take down Roy Moore or Jerry Falwell.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Except no one but you, YF and the NYT style editor gives a fuck about her.

lakefront likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

$3.7 million.

Lena Dunham’s absurd advance

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sorry. The dumbest publisher alive makes 4.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That’s ... really not true.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I asked you to explain your statement. Why are you incapable of answering?

Draft saved Draft deleted