1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lena Dunham ‘Raped by a Republican’ Story in Bestseller Collapses Under Scrutiny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 4, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She has some very unattractive breasts and an ass maufactured by Breakstone

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In other words better suited for the Renaissance era

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gotta give Breitbart.com credit, they got her publisher to put out a statement, and when that didn't satisfy Barry and his lawyers, Dunham was forced to write this in/on Buzzfeed:

4. Boom_70

This story had made think back to my time in college and I realize now that
    I was raped by two cheerleaders - Heather and Stacy. Both had great personalities
    and were very bright. It's clear now that they manipulated me into Heather's big bed
    and held me there against my will. I've tried to block it out all these years but now
    it's all come rushing back after reading the Dunham story.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There appear to be some ambiguities and gray areas in your story, Boom.

6. YankeeFan

If she was trying to "protect this information", why didn't she make it clear that the name Barry was pseudonym, and why did she give a detailed description of some Yosemite Sam-looking, cartoon character, Republican?

And, I don't know anyone who would disagree with this. I don't know anyone who would discourage a rape victim from telling her story. She wasn't criticized because she told her story. She was criticized for telling a detailed story, that cast suspicion on a particular person, that could not be verified.

If she had told the same story, with either the actual details, or having left out all identifying details of the person who assaulted her, she wouldn't be facing this criticism.

And, the fact that this cartoonist character, was also the Uber Republican, on a very liberal college campus, makes people question her motives, when the story doesn't check out.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Certainly understand why this is worth discussing and debating. A major celebrity is accusing someone of sexual assault in her memoir. That's a story, no arguing at all. I just find attempts to connect this to the Rolling Stone mess, as I've seen plenty bloggers do this week, to be entirely disingenuous.

8. YankeeFan

I think it's mostly a convenience of timing. And, maybe the fact that both may result in lawsuits.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

you are blocking out the lede. They were trannies

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hate the use of "survivors". As horrific a crime as sexual assault is, it is not attempted murder, so there is no attack on survival. Like using deniers in other contexts, they are consciously trying to co-opt the holocaust to draw sympathy for a cause and demonize any adversaries - real or imaginary. We have thankfully reached the point where most arguments that invoke the Holocaust explicitly are tuned out, we should treat more subtle attempts similarly.

11. YankeeFan

"Survivors" doesn't bother me.

Many victims of these crimes remain victims for years, even decades. It effects them on a daily basis.

And, while it's the kind of thing you never fully overcome, I think adopting the term "survivor" is a way to indicate -- to yourself and others -- that you will not be defined as a victim; that you will not continue to empower your rapist by allowing what he did to you to hurt you on a daily/hourly/minutely basis. It means that you don't blame yourself for what happens, but that you rightly blame the person that assaulted you.

It's a statement of strength, for people who were made to feel weak. It's a good thing when a woman who was raped views herself as a survivor.

12. Boom_70

I never felt hurt by Heather and Stacy

Draft saved Draft deleted