1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias statue: Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 27, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Snarky posts aside, Len Bias did do this for me.

I was 11 when he died.

I equated cocaine = instant death because of Len Bias. Never had the desire to touch it or be around it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just remember watching the draft with my uncle and him telling me that the Cavaliers were going to regret taking Daugherty over Bias and going on a diatribe about how NBA teams were all convinced that they needed a 7-footer just because there had been franchise centers the previous few drafts (Sampson, Olajuwon, Ewing...).

Next morning... Dead...

Coke was all over the place at my high school and none of the athletes that I knew ever touched it. Maybe Bias was a big reason for that...

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm sure people never used because of Bias. But there were plenty of people who used who took the lesson, "Never drink it."

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's the odd legacy.

His coke death led a generation of suburban kids to avoid cocaine at all costs.

Draft saved Draft deleted