1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias statue: Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There was a proposal in Maryland to put a statue of Len Bias at his old high school at the cost of $50,000. The proposal has been shelved for now, because of reasons I'm sure all of you can guess. The guy who proposed it contends Bias is still a role model despite how he died:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/len-bias-statue-proposal-shelved/

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

They gonna spring for some white paint on his nostrils?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not just no, but HELL no.

4. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

I'm a longtime resident of the DMV and I was as big of a Len Bias fan as I am of RGIII. However, I don't think public funds should be used on a statue in front of the school. What school or district these days couldn't do something more beneficial with $50,000? The Bias story is a good life lesson but I don't think a statue does the job. If the school wants to do something artistic, how 'bout a Bias mural done by its best artists in its main entrance? (For all I know, they may already have one.)

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe a tombstone.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

agreed

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That was simply a terrible idea.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It's such a shame that this young man, in the prime of his life, decided to try cocaine for the first time to celebrate getting drafted.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The cocaine or the statue?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

He just wasn't cut out to be like the rest of the '86 Draft.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm from that neighborhood. I know people. That wasn't the first time he has used cocaine. Try time No. 1,475.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hondo, at some point you need to go in and get your sarcasm detector fixed. It's been broken far too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted