1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias Film

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. I was thinking specifically of Maynor, though.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maynor - Not Moving to Gwinnett!

Maynor - Not affiliated with Wilder!!!

3. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Fenian: "The thing was, he would have stepped in for both Bird and McHale, thereby reducing the wear and tear and perhaps lengthening their careers. And he would have been there to start the next generation with (tragically) Reggie Lewis."
    Fenian hit it right on!
    Bird wouldn't have had to even go in the paint, he could've lived beyond the arc.
    The headaches that McHale, Parrish and Bias would've caused underneath ... one can only imagine? ???
    I don't think Bird would've been laying down on the court on the sidelines seeking relief from back pain during the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona if Bias had joined the Celtics five years earlier.

Bias handled and shot the ball better than some of the previous posters think; he was incredibly explosive and had a great mid-range jumper that he got off quickly. It's hard to compare him to anyone. He was bigger, stronger and faster than Barkley. His ability to score in bunches with a mid-range game reminds of a muscular Bernard King.

The thing that impressed most about his short career was that his game continually evolved during his last two years at Maryland.

4. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I'm glad someone else remembers the Ralph Sampson-Jerry Schisting fight!

First 7-4 Sampson starts up with 6-1 Schisting. Then Dennis Johnson comes over with his hands up (like, hey, Ralph, calm down, man) and Sampson pops him in the eye and cuts him open with one punch. I remember Dick Stockton saying if it were a boxing match, he'd have scored points on that one.

Then Bill Walton finally lumbers his way back down from the other end of the floor (the fight started during a Rockets' fast-break) and comes at Sampson from behind and TACKLES him to the floor. Doesn't even get hit with a foul, much less thrown out of the game. Sampson is the only one who gets tossed.

And then Pat O'Brien (still doing the sideline reporter thing back then) catches up with Sampson who says: "It was a bullshit call and if that's the way they want to play, we can play like that all night."

And yes, I have a copy of that game ... and a very good memory when it comes to the 1980s Celtics.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

According to the stats I've seen, he averaged 23 and 7 his senior year. Obviously good, but not legendary. And only 1 assist a game. Yikes, that makes Yinka Dare look like John Stockton. That said, he was my favorite player his senior year at Maryland; definitely still remember the upset of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and the reverse dunk off the inbounds pass.

As for the what ifs, it seems like there was just as good a chance Bias would have ended up like Chris Washburn or Roy Tarpley. I wouldn't have necessarily penciled the Celtics in for another couple of championships just because of his addition. This is admittedly coming from a Showtime Lakers fan.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was already smoking crack even if he did not OD.

I think Larry and Dennis would have straightened him out, though. Heck, Parrish may have had him a happy pot smoker.

Draft saved Draft deleted