1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias Film

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just realized the 'Nique comparason is going to do you no good.

Amare Stoudemire could be an example. Just with a little more facing the basket skills.

2. The thing was, he would have stepped in for both Bird and McHale, thereby reducing the wear and tear and perhaps lengthening their careers. And he would have been there to start the next generation with (tragically) Reggie Lewis.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL

But 'Nique was a great comparison.

4. poindexter

Bird and McHale both were completely worn down by the 1987 Finals, McHale played on a broken foot, IIRC.

It truly is the most intruiging "what if" sports scenario I can remember.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Really, Poindexter? You don't think Amare and Bias would have similar styles of play in the NBA?

I think Bias would have been a dunking machine and nearly impossible to keep off the offensive glass.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I saw Bias play in college, in person, at least a dozen times, probably more. I saw Jordan play, in person, in college twice. Like every other Maryland fan in the early to mid-80's we saw alot of UNC on TV. Jordan was a great player on a great team and most people thought he'd be a great NBA scorer and player. But if you watched Len Bias you'd think you were watching the future of basketball. He was almost a perfect basketball player, powerful, artistic, skilled, a player who could score and also rebound with authority.

7. poindexter

I may have been at some of the same games HeyAbott was at at Cole Field House.

Bias was electric and powerful - I wish I had better adjectives... but his ball handling skills were average at best. I loved Len Bias, my favorite college player ever... but he was no Jordan. JMO.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bias was no Jordan, but he was like a blend of Karl Malone and 'Nique. Powerful, quick, great hands, a force on the boards, and possessed a beautiful mid-range jumper that he regularly nailed by dribbling one hard dribble, then pulling up over a defender. He wasn't just some dunker. Amare has nowhere near the touch Bias did.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Two off the top of my head. Tim Duncan. Grant Hill.

Bias was to be the Celtics answer to James Worthy in those following years. The dynasty began to crumble afterward.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As a student, I camped out to get tickets to Terp games. A ticket was free, but you had to get them. The first 50 or so in line got floor seats and I regularly had floor seats seeing as I lived on campus, sleeping in the hall way at Cole for a night was better than the depression era dorms we had. I sat behind the Duke bench one game when Giminski was playing and lit into him, non stop. Giminski, Sparnarkel and Gene Banks were on a team I saw play at Cole and I was unmerciful. To their credit, they never turned around.

Bias was the best college player I ever saw, Jordan included. The old joke may have been correct that Dean Smith was the greatest defensive mind in college BBall history, he routinely kept Jordan below 20ppg. Lefty, as he himself would say, would ride his horses til they dropped. He rode Len, like he rode Buck Williams, and he didn't drop. Bias playing with Bird would have been the most impressive sight in basketball history.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

12. poindexter

Jeez, abbot, you missed that he was a four year player at Maryland.

FWIW, I saw him play his last game, an NCAA tournament loss to UNLV in Long Beach, CA.

Just my opinion, but I think his legend grew a little in his death.

Draft saved Draft deleted