1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeMond accuses Landis of blackmail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, May 17, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070517/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_landis_hearing_26;_ylt=Ag8EDeVtgJvm6f9Q_DwkWh8E1vAI

The Floyd Landis hearing took a chaotic twist Thursday when fellow American Tour de France champion Greg LeMond revealed he had been sexually abused as a child and claimed the Landis camp tried to use it as blackmail to keep LeMond from testifying.
    [LeMond] said he used the story of his being sexually abused when he was 6 as an example of how it's good to get things out in the open.

"It nearly destroyed me by keeping the secret," LeMond said.

He said he told Landis that very few people knew that about him, then accused someone in the Landis camp of using that information Wednesday night to intimidate him from appearing as a witness.

LeMond described receiving a call that he said he later traced to the cell phone of Landis' manager, Will Geoghegan.

"He said, 'I'll be there tomorrow and we can talk about how we used to' perform a sexual act, LeMond said. "I thought this was intimidation to keep me from coming here."

He said he was so distraught by the call, he filed a police report, which was presented as evidence by attorneys. Malibu sheriff's officials, however, declined to release the report or details about it, saying the case was under investigation.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

This shit goes back many years with LeMond, he's been been spewing contempt for Lance Armstrong almost since the day he began winning Tours 7-8 years ago, and that contempt seems to have broadened toward all U.S. racing recently. Not sure exactly how he got that oversized bug up his ass, maybe it has something to with the French last name.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

maybe that he is not the biggest name of US cycling, and ego is making him bitter?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Floyd Landis, please go away.

Greg LeMond -- after I interview you next month -- please follow him.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did you read the original version on ESPN.com? The AP version cleaned up the details of the threatening call:

LeMond described receiving a call Wednesday evening from someone who claimed to be his uncle. He said he later traced the call to Geoghegan’s cell phone.
    “He said, 'I’ll be there tomorrow and we can talk about how we used to’ " perform a sexual act, LeMond said of the phone call. “I thought this was intimidation to keep me from coming here.”

The original ESPN version, by their stringer on the scene, wrote it this way:
    “He said, 'I’ll be there tomorrow and we can talk about how we used to play hide the weenie,' " LeMond said.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Again, his claims would have more credibility if LeMond had not already been demonstrating such contempt for anything associated with Armstrong, and recently US cycling in general, for quite a few years now. He went in to this with a huge pre-existing bias, and I'm sure was looking for any opportunity to stick it to those guys.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BE sure to get pointers and an autograph first!

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I am not a fan of cycling, nor do I care one iota about LeMond.

But if what he is saying about the sport is true, why would we want him to go away. If he was making stuff up, why would reps for Landis even think about such a sick attempt at blackmail?

If cheating can ben exposed in any sport, for any athlete, I'm for it.

9. Oz

Oz Active Member

Exactly. I doubt he would make that up under oath.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I used to really like LeMond -- still like him more than Landis, especially after this little ploy -- but he's been on a witch hunt himself against Armstrong but with no evidence whatsoever to back up his insinuations.

He smacks of being a jealous, bitter guy who was replaced in American cycling's cool circle. He's still a legend, but he's not involved in the sport's governance or regulation. I'm not sure why he is on the stand in this case.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's on the stand because he had a conversation with Landis in which Landis seemed to indicate his guilt. When LeMond asked Landis if he would come clean if his B sample tested positive, Landis said no, not because he wasn't guilty but because of the consequences. 'I don't see anything that . . . . What good would it do? If I did, it would destroy a lot of my friends and hurt a lot of people,' he said.

As for the veracity of LeMond's claim, the manager admitted he had made the threatening call.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Manager was also fired by Landis' lawyer before the day was over too.

Draft saved Draft deleted