1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lemme see ya grillz....Not in this Texas school district

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 11, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So if the person's whose looks you don't like isn't as smart as Stephen Hawking, you'll hire an inferior worker.

Gotcha.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Even if you're a record executive looking to sign a new act?

Or the CEO of a graphic design company trying to land a hot new artistic talent?

Or a casting director looking to hire someone for your new film about an up-and-coming rapper?

Or an autoshop owner looking for someone who knows his/her way around an engine?

Or a magazine publisher who found a great photographer who happens to "look like a carnie?"

The point is, there there are plenty of jobs on this planet where outward appearance has little to do with one's job performance (in fact, most have nothing to do with it, but I will stipulate that the standards of appearance are different on Wall Street than even in a press box). The school is not "preparing" these kids for anything by not allowing them to wear grillz. They're stifling the kids' personal expression.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not in any of those businesses. I'd probably have a different opinion if I was.

My issue is that freedom of expression doesn't mean freedom from consequences. They aren't the same thing and and too many people don't understand that. Whether they realize it or not, and they probably don't, the school district is making that point.

4. Mutah

Mutah Member

They're there to fucking learn math, English, science, art. Not a fashion show. Leave the fucking 'grillz' at home.

And I question the whole 'individualism' line of thought. They're wearing them because 'everyone has them.' That's not individualism. That's being a trend whore. I oughtta know. There's a pair of parachute pants in my closet.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Did somebody say "grillz?!?" :D :eek: :D

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd just as soon the schools do what they're supposed to do--teach kids how to think--then tut tutting like some spinster aunt over how the kids are dressed. It's none of their business.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Schools are already doing a lot of things that "aren't their business" because there are so many shitty parents out there. They're expected to be mom and dad because mom and dad are too busy to be bothered with little things like raising their children.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're right. They're there to learn math, English, etc. Why does the school care if they do it with gauges in their ears?

The individualism thing is a separate entity in that, unless kids are making their own clothes, sneakers, etc., there really is no individualism. They're buying a mass produced product and wearing it. Hell, you see Goth clothes on sale at the Mall.

However, it's still a form of expression. Even if others are expressing the same thing, that look appeals to that kid and he or she shouldn't be told they can't look how they want, providing it isn't harming them or others.

To me, dress codes are dicey issue to begin with (is a short skirt too distracting to allow others to learn?). But to say that grillz or gauges in any way hinder the learning process is asinine and to say the school is teaching the kids lessons by banning them is even more asinine (all they're really saying is the First Amendment isn't as important as we'd like you to believe).  

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't be the only one who had to look this up on google images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoever wrote that schools are there just to teach is living in dream land. They are also, mommy, daddy, therapist, fight referee, breakfast cook, and 100 other jobs.

Grillz are idiotic.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe but irrelevant to the discussion.

This "in the work force there are rules" justification for this is is a load of crap--as has been pointed out several times here.

This is not a private school.

Maybe the sadass bureaucrat who came up with this fashion edict would be happier there.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What it do. [/paul wall]

Draft saved Draft deleted