1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leitch on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Exactly. This is a perfect example where if any non-douchebag would have done what Leitch did, and truly regretted it, then the only thing in the world they would ever want is to let sleeping dogs lie and never have it brought up again.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Catch-22 in your theorem is that a non-douchebag never would have done it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I had done what Leitch did, I wouldn't want to dredge it up again -- I'd be too embarrassed. And if I was going to dredge it up, I'd only do it if I had made amens -- really made amens.

Of course I understand why writing it is timely now. But it doesn't accomplish what he was going for if it comes off as insincere and opportunistic. This came off as opportunistic to me (maybe others disagree) -- him "using" Ebert once again. If that wasn't the case, he would have tried to make right (if he felt he really had to) long ago.

All it did was make me dislike Leitch.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Well, there seems to be consensus that he was a douchebag in 2000 when he wrote the original slam. This piece operates as a renewal of his douchebag license for another decade.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Will Leitch seems to be making a little cottage industry out of heartfelt apologies for things that so obviously shouldn't have happened in the first place. He engaged in similar heart-rending when Jason Whitlock called him out for writing in his book about what is the proper way to be black. When the Erin Andrews video surfaced, he went on and on about how he could never look her in the eye after everything he had done to label her a sex object.

I suppose he could just stop doing the shit that forces the apologies. Or, gasp, he could have an editor who kills something that mentions someone's "fat fucking face," which goes to pre-empt the question earlier in this thread about what if Telander or someone else at a newspaper had written it.

But the checks all cashed, the rep is made, Will is where he wants to be,and I guess all we should do is figure out who gets the next installment of the Will Leitch Heartfelt Apology Tour. Berman, maybe?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Berman deserves no apologies... From anyone...

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I really enjoyed the piece. I thought it was gut-wrenching. I RTed it last night, and BYH read it off that. We both said that Ebert's simple response to Leitch's "fat fucking fact" was 1000000000X more painful than if he had gone off, or even just ignored it.

We'll disagree on the impact of Leitch's story. I thought it was good.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

On the flip side, Will Leitch prostituting his relationship with Ebert yet again, heartfelt or otherwise, only reestablishes/reaffirms what a complete mensch Roger Ebert is. So while there may be selfish motivations in offering this mea culpa, in the end, it's another chance to recognize that Ebert is someone genuinely worth admiring.

I think what I also took from this is that writing will always be writing. (The same way that music will always be music.) And real writers -- and I think Leitch is one, despite his unique brand of self-deprecating narcissism -- will always want the approval and advice and friendship of real writers. The medium does not matter. Already there seems to be a reassessment taking place. Some of the young turks (as Leitch describes himself) who saw themselves as punk rock journalists determined to tear down their idols and build a new way on the net, are no longer 25 and convinced they have all the answers. We're the same age, he and I. And I can see how easily I could have taken the route he did -- maybe not in terms of success, but certainly style and tone. It's so easy, when you're young, to think THESE ARE SOME THINGS I THINK, AND THEY ARE MUCH SMARTER AND INTERESTING THAN ANYTHING THAT'S BEEN SAID BEFORE! You need someone to yank on your belt loop and prevent you from unleashing your inner asshole.

And so even though so many internet rock stars like Leitch write stories that are still mostly told through a prism of "ME!" -- because anyone who ever came of age as a writer without the help of an editor thinks this is the only way to tell a story or look at the world -- they're starting to feel some remorse about painting their "We're the new kings!" rage with such a broad brush.

Yes, there was some cultural value in poking a stick at tired, phony acts like Jay Mariotti or Skip Bayless ... but Roger Ebert?

I suspect in the coming years, Leitch will look back at a number of things he did/wrote and cringe at the way he told them. It's such a delicate balancing act between "edgy, interesting commentary" and "narcissism." At least the Will Leitch Heartfelt Apology Tour will have plenty of fuel as it churns forward toward new horizons.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nicely said, Double D.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That was what I took from it, just what a great person Roger Ebert is. Leitch and his breast beating are of no consequence.

Ebert . . . I wish I'd had the chance to meet him, just once.

11. Ummm, he's not dead. No need to use the past tense. :)

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Right after I typed that, I realized my error . . . I'll never have a chance to kiss his butt as a college student, so the moment has passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted