1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leitch on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://deadspin.com/5482198/my-roger-ebert-story?skyline=true&s=i

I can't even imagine what sort of arrogant punk this guy is deep inside to have skewered Ebert like he did after all the support he had been given.

But I give him some credit for revealing it.

2. tmr

tmr Member

It's nuts, but that's what makes the story so good. He's obviously carried that around for a long, long time.

I think we've all "been there" at some point, even if only in our thoughts, and not in an online magazine most of us have never heard of.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. That mea culpa made me dislike Will Leitch. Where was the apology 5 years ago, 10 years ago (not saying it was necessary, but if it was in you, why now?)? Where was this piece before the Esquire piece (if he really has those deep regrets)?

This was: Hey guys, I know Ebert too. Time to cash in on it AGAIN. And I have a great story to capitalize on the attention he's getting. You see, I was such a punk, and Ebert is so gracious, and look at my maturity now, so you see, I am really not a punk! No, I am a swell guy. Look at me. Me too! Me too!

Punk.

4. tmr

tmr Member

Ebert gives your last posts a thumbs down. http://twitter.com/ebertchicago/status/9849648901

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, what does that fat fuck know? [/Will Leitch]

6. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

I guess if Leitch'd been a writer at the Tribune instead of at some vewwy, vewwy bad old sports blog, this would have been a moving story of a man's complicated relationship with his hero.

Instead, it's "suspect."

7. I wish I had more hands ...
    so I could give those titties four thumbs down! The milk's gone BAD, Murphy!!!

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Shit, Leitch is a professional writer. Regardless of timing or intent, as Jimmy Breslin once said, "The No. 1 reason any professional writes is to pay the bills. This isn't the Lawn Tennis Association, where you play just for the thrill of it." Not that a guest post on Deadspin pays more than a lunch bill, but still.

But, if you read it, he did apologize to Ebert when it ran, and he felt too embarrassed to keep correspondence up. (I emailed Leitch to congratulate him on the story, and as always, he was very humble and still sort of mortified)

Also, why do we only write about curling when the Winter Olympics are on? Timing is important and Ebert will be on Oprah tomorrow.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If a major beloved sports figure dies today, all the columnists will have their paeans tomorrow. Why didn't they write those five years ago? 'Cause the guy wasn't as newsworthy.

Like Leitch said, Ebert got a big Esquire story plus Oprah. He's hot, for lack of a better word, which makes others jump into the ring so they can get web hits. That's the biz.

(edit: cousin jeffrey beat me to it. same thing.)

We all have a smarter-than-we-think-we-are story from our youth, but I can't top Leitch's. Thankfully.

10. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

Still, I think there's a double-standard at play here. I get the feeling that if this were Haugh or Telander and this story had appeared in the Trib or Sun-Times, everything would be okay. But, since it's Leitch, it's a tossed-off story by some "punk" with "suspect" timing.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Oprah becomes appointment television for me, you know she has a good guest.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Roger Ebert is an enormous talent and a national treasure that most people took for granted. Everyone can write about him if they want. Why complain about it?

Leitch had a great story to tell and he told it. Geez.

Draft saved Draft deleted