1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leitch interviews SI's Gary Smith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wish Leitch had more time to talk to Smith. I'd love to read more about how Smith does what he does ...

http://deadspin.com/5051975/a-few-moments-with-gary-smith

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought this was pretty funny:

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

I can honestly say I learned absolutely nothing about Gary Smith from that interview.

A shame.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I was a bit surprised to see Smith has a new book out of his collected stories. It looks like many of them were ones that appeared in Beyond the Game, which was published in 2001.

The Times had a good story on Smith, reveals a bit more about him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/books/16smit.html?ref=books

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"A Few Moments with Gary Smith..."

..as we rode the elevator together.

Seriously, it's hard work making one of the great sports journalists come off like a lightweight.

Face to face, and Leitch couldn't even get a new photo.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

And if he'd have delved deep into the writing process, 99 percent of the people would have fallen asleep. One of the things that amazed me my first 10 years in the business was how little interest people in the business have in talking about the process. So the subject would be a real snoozer for the average reader.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Wondering how much responsibility his assistants have.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't think Smith has any assistants. There are fact-checkers who go through his stories after the fact, as with all SI stories, but it's not like he has anyone do any interviewing for him, if that's what you mean.

9. Hey, I was just going through Smith stories in the SI vault, and I wondered what happened to Richie Parker. Anyone know where he is now?

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

Obvious questions for Gary Smith:

You write about your subjects with such authority and intimacy, often from their points of view, what is their reaction after the story is printed?

What are some techniques you use to get people to open up?

How do you go about reconstructing scenes?

Do you ever let your subjects read the story before its published just to make sure you have it correct?

Since your stories require exhaustive research, how do you keep them from consuming you?

When do you know it's time to write?

What's your favorite story?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Obvious answer from most of us:

When we leave the locker room, race back to our laptops and know that we can hit deadline, give or take five minutes, with the first mish-mash that pours out of our heads.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This interview is a wee bit better.

http://nopyramid.blogspot.com/2006/11/adam-bornsteins-interview-with-gary.html

Draft saved Draft deleted