1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leinart Baby Momma: Leinart full of crap and a bad dad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 24, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Between you, me and the fence post, my guess is that if given his choice, Matt would have taken her discreetly to a planned parenthood facility, disposed of the baby under the laws given them by the fourteenth amendment, taken her out for an Egg McMuffin afterward, and be done with her forever.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's easy to be a single mom, even by choice, and I also don't believe anything I ever read from estranged couples about their exes. I think it's safe to assume that high-profile celebrities and athletes who don't live with their children probably don't see them as much as the parents who live with them.

But I lose a lot of respect for any celeb-related parent who talks to media about the kids, and uses those kids as a public weapon against the other parent.

The kids didn't ask to be dragged into the public eye, and they don't belong there.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The problem is... he brought the kid up first. He "used" the kid to enhance his celebrity status as a "great dad."

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Understood. The mom's best revenge--and gift to her son--is to roll her eyes and say, 'No comment.'

Because in a few years, that kid and his friends are going to google the whole mess. Not fair.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Actually . . . .it was "Mr." Leinart. Check the quoted post again.

So not only did you completely misread my intentions, you also misread my post.

Your original post that started the thread did not mention the original article the quotes were taken from; you know, the ones that provided context that said that both of these young people had athletic careers they wanted to pursue.

"Women's libber" is your term, not mine. As I stated, I have no problem with Cameron (Look! NO "Ms."!) wanting to continue her basketball career, and I understand it. I used her situation to illustrate that perhaps both of them are still figuring out how to deal with this situation while also taking advantage of the opportunities they have as young athletes, and I also noted that Leinart is no saint. He's frankly a disingenuous jerk in talking aboiut being a dad when in actuality, he can't find the time to be there for Cole. But there's more to it than that. Maybe you want a blanket conviction just because she's unhappy, but I wish to examine the whole story, not just the angle that has you in an uproar.

As for your last question: any man, any woman, who is needed to help raise their child should be able to "suspend their career". In an ideal world. But if the mother is not working (and she's not right now, though a degree from USC and possible WNBA shot would do a lot for the future), then it falls on the father to work, and for now, his career sure is lucrative.

If it were reversed and he was not working, I would feel the same. SOMEONE has to bring in money to support the kid, you know. Unfortunately for their child, both are pursuing a similar career path: athletics, which only give a person a certain short window with which to succeed. So both mommy and daddy will be busy pursuing that once in a lifetime dream during Cole's formative years.

I'm not here to start a fight with you. You took a side, I feel that maybe there's more to the story.

Your rant above was completely uncalled for.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I fixed my post when I realized you used "Mr." ... but then you drop it later on... inexplicably.

Leinart spends a lot of time in the clubs. He's photographed in them. I guess that's where he's "sorting it all out."

You're giving Matt Leinart way too much credit.

I'm with you on your point about Leinart bringing in the money. But it's the offseason. He won't be able to spend much time helping to raise the kid for the next 6 months... so what's his excuse? How about taking the kid for an hour a day over the summer so she can work out and get back into playing shape?

Not only could resuming her college basketball career give her a shot at a pro career (WNBA, Europe, whatever...) but it would also help her with a career in coaching, sports public relations, or with her looks, TV analyst. So this isn't about NFL vs. WNBA.

I think she deserves a shot at a future, too.

At least Shawn Kemp never claimed to change diapers.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

What's the Chris Rock line?

" 'I take care of my kids ...' You're SUPPOSED TO take care of your kids!"

Well, in re Leinhart, what else do you expect from someone who is among Paris Hilton's former bedfellows?

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

If you must know . . . .I dropped the "Mr." because I just didn't type it again. No reason, but you can read into that if you wish.

I never said it's about NFL vs. WNBA. They both should be able to pursue their careers; neither should be asked to give them up. It's just not an ideal situation for the kid. I said in an earlier post that he has no excuse; he's from LA, she's in LA, Arizona is a short flight away. His offseason is long, and he had plenty of opportunity to be the dad he says he is, and he wasn't. Agaun, we disagree on the terminology, but Leinart is clearly in the wrong here.

I also think she deserves a shot at a future; I never said otherwise. It's just that both parents have these careers that are potentially lucrative, but will take them away from the kid. Maybe the point is that she is pursuing a career AND school, but still has to find the time to raise the kid, while he has no excuse.

Leinart needs to start saying "no comment" when asked about the kid.

9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Matt Leinart is going to look back 15 years from now, when his son is self-sufficient enough not to need him any more and curse the day he let his son grow up knowing Daddy as a check.

Maybe this whole experience might shake the shit out of him and he'll realize there isn't anything in the world more valuable than time with your own child.

My son is 19 months old right now. There isn't anything in the world more important to me. He is my entourage.

"Leinart needs to start saying "no comment" when asked about the kid." Or he could actually be the father his son needs.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Talk about someone writing about irony and not having a single idea about it (that's Silver, not Waylon I'm referring to).

I mean, can't you just see Silver in Entourage? A pathetic suburban loser trying to hang in LA with his loser friends?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think you're giving Leinart too much credit here. I suspect in 15 years he'll be patting himself on the back for never missing a child support payment and having the kid's number on his cell phone's speed dial.

He might have fathered that child, but he damn sure isn't being a dad to him. And probably never will be.

12. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Being a father is easy. All you have to do is fail to use a condom. Being a Dad is not, but it is the most rewarding thing you'll do.

Hopefully Matt Leinart wakes up to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted