1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leigh Steinberg files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/26/sports/pro-football-these-drafts-come-and-go-and-so-do-agents-fortunes.html?scp=14&sq=assante%20sports&st=cse

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So no Super Bowl party?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nice reminder. I'd say Dunn has done pretty well for himself since 2003.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Maybe, if you count watching the game on a 27" standard def. TV while eating a bag of Doritos and splitting a 12er of Old Milwaukee N/A at an apartment in Huntington Beach a "party."

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

He had me at ... overdrawn.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You deplete me.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is this Ms. Steinberg?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When multi-millionaires file for bankruptcy (see Trump), it's not because they're broke. It's because they don't feel like paying their bills any more.

Maybe Steinberg is just burnishing his credentials as a "financial genius" to run for the GOP nomination for POTUS in 2020.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Show me the money, Leigh. Oh right, you don't have any.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate to be so harsh, but once again, you post like you know something. ... when you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Steinberg filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It is a PERSONAL bankruptcy, not a business bankruptcy. It is the type of bankruptcy you file when you are broke and have creditors calling you day and night, and you are out of options. A trustee now can liquidate anything Steinberg owns, if he still has assets in his name, and pay off his creditors.

Donald Trump has never been in that situation. He is a very wealthy man. Where you are confused is that Trump's BUSINESSES have filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy multiple times. That has nothing to do with Donald Trump's personal assets. And Chapter 7 bankruptcy is not Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Businesses in debt often take advantage of bankruptcy laws in this country by filing for Chapter 11, because they have lawyers who then sit down and renegotiate their debt to their company's advantage.

The difference between Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Chapter 11 bankruptcy is significant. It demonstrates a disparity between what an individual (like Steinberg, or you or me) faces when they get over their heads in debt, and what a business (like Trump Enterprises) can get away with by moving in and out of bankruptcy as a way to "renegotiate" with creditors.

You were just wrong when you said that Steinberg isn't broke and he doesn't feel like paying his bills. Even if that was true (and it is not), Chapter 7 bankruptcy isn't going to help him get away without paying his bills. A trustee is going to be appointed now, and take over his affairs. That trustee can do whatever he or she wants with any assets that exist in order to pay the line of creditors. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is not a pleasant thing and this has to be humiliating for Steinberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted