1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leigh Montville returns to Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Maybe Larry Bird ain't walking through that door, and maybe Kevin McHale ain't walking through that door, but Leigh Montville is and he can still play.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/10/leigh-montville-back-write-column-for-globe/cWu5dUeMGSH5swCUoitbUN/story.html#share-nav

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how happy I was to see Leigh's column in my Sunday paper this morning. A truly original voice is rare and to be cherished.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Felt the same seeing the thread title. Hard to believe that his last column with The Globe
    was in 1989. Has always been one of my favorite columnists.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And so well done too... Great to see the business hiring a big name.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You just caused me to have a Pitino flashback, Dave, and not in a good way.

I was a little bit too young for Montville's time at the Globe, but I'm looking forward to reading his columns in their new incarnation.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We're reminiscing on Dan Kennedy's Facebook wall about the glory days of the Globe in the late 70s with Ernie Roberts thinking while shaving and telling us what was for breakfast and with the columnist duo of Montville and Ray Fitzgerald, not to mention Ryan, Gammons, Shaighnessy and the others.

Of course, there are those saying, "Do we need a 60-something white-guy columnist?"

But this 50-something white guy says you cannot beat institutional memory.

His column today was typical Montville. Sort of a meta-column like he often wrote.

I am looking forward to this.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How was his sportsonearth stuff?

Draft saved Draft deleted