1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leigh Montville Does Evel Knievel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Longtime Montville fan here. He talks about his new bio.

Good stuff once you get past dumb registration (email and password).

http://sportsmediaguide.com/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet. Big Montville fan myself, just added that to my cart and I may have more time to read than I want by the time it comes out.
    Ashamed to admit this but I had no idea until I got to this threat that it was Evel and not Evil. I suck.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Evil is appropos - considering what he did to Shelly Saltman, according to Montville.

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

If whoever runs that Sports Media Guide site is reading this, please take that stupid registration and login stuff done. It's completely asinine.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Who threatened you? [/reverseModdy]

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good catch. Told you I suck!

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

This stuck out to me:

[quote author=Leigh Montville to Sports Media Guide] It was fascinating because newspapers didn’t know who to send to cover it. Some sent a sportswriter and treated it like a sports event; some sent science writers who covered moon walks and launches; and some sent sob sisters who covered cultural events – thinking he was going to die.[/quote]

Who would you send to an event like the Snake River Canyon jump -- a news, sports or features reporter?

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Oh God, I can't wait to read this.

9. AD

AD Active Member

the interview was wonderful, the book sounds great, and montville's last line is priceless. welcome back, smg.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Loved Evel's radio interview with Jim Rome a couple years back. Evel was talking about the Snake River jump and said he figured there was a 50-50 chance he would die. Rome asked him why, if he thought it was basically a coin flip that he'd be splattered at the bottom of the canyon, he'd go through with it.
    Evel paused a beat, then just said in a tone that was both incredulous and pissed off, "Do you know who I am?"

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great interview.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Big Montville fan, and loved his book on Montague . . . far too esoteric a subject to gain a wide audience, but I'm glad he took the trouble, and I liked it very, very much.

Do people still give a shit about Evel? I'm serious, in terms of critical mass. He never floated my boat, and he's largely drifted off into the center of the broad Sea of Tastelessness of the time . . . tell me why I'm wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted