1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legitimate Patch.com question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ejhayes737, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Freelance rates are ridiculous. If I have any type of travel, no way do I do something for under $100. You can't make money as a freelancer anymore. You have to use it as a supplement to some other source.

For me, anything less than $100 now is a no.

Patch? If it is $50, they better not expect more than 400 words.

2. When I worked for Patch they expected 500-600 words, plus photos. Plus, they'd usually post the stories on two different sites if the two teams were from different towns, so they'd want two different versions of the story, with localized leads and different quotes from both teams.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Start to finish, how much time does this take?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I do photos and 400-450 words for $75 with Patch in my area. Considering the area newspapers either aren't paying for freelance work, or pay $50 for 500-600 words, Patch pays well.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact that we're talking about high school games, not college or pro rates. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it does ... at least in my area.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Piecemeal stringing/freelance just doesn't pay enough to come close to a living wage. Mrs. Edtitude is a contract worker at her former gig, and while there are no benefits (mine are pretty good), she is paid an hourly rate that is worth her time and respects her experience and ability.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Here's a legitimate Patch.com question:

¿Hablas español?

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/10/media_note_patch_hires_up.php

7. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

Well it looks like the Patch well in Northern Virginia has run dry for me. Local editors have had their budgets slashed and have reduced high school sports coverage to almost nothing. Parents are emailing me daily asking where the high school sports coverage has gone.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you at least reply with the name and email address of the local Patch editor?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Away.

10. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

Yes, I do. I tell the parent to email the local editor and let them know that they would like to see coverage resume. It's frustrating too because there are many area high schools with talented athletes who are being recruited nationally. I'm actively looking for writing opportunities elsewhere and hope to have something before the spring sports begin.

11. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

I would get $75 for photos, video and 500-550 words. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted