1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legitimate Patch.com question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ejhayes737, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn about the business model right now. I'm looking for freelance work, and they're paying better than the competition. If it lasts for anther couple months, so be it. If it lasts until 2013, awesome.

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

This.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, for freelance work, money's money. There's no problem with Patch if you're swooping in and making 50 bucks for an article here and there.

But like others have said, explain to me how this is a long-term business model. It's just not. I just don't see Patch offering job security, and you never know when AOL is going to pull the plug. They're very fickle in their media strategy.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I don't see newspapers offering a lot of job security these days either. Here, let me show you something ...

The whole business is a mess, dude.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Patch pays for freelance agate?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Here, too.

During Hurricane Irene and the aftermath, Patch had a major opportunity to bring in loads of readers. And.... It got its ass beat 6 ways to Sunday. Not by the local newspaper's website, actually, but by a local news internet site that's been around awhile. The local newspaper's site came in second with well-reported, if not timely, articles. Patch came in a distant third.

Our Patch recently put a young 20-something in charge after a 50-something had been in charge. No idea why. If you read the 20-something's bio on the site, it says his dream job is to cover stock car racing or some such. It reminds me of the line from the Eagles song, "I coulda been an actress but I wound up here." It's kind of like, "I could have covered cars, but I wound up as editor of shitty Patch site."

Anyway, people were actually buzzing about [Local Internet Site].com and its 24-hour updates and photos. The news from that site actually kept me going during 5 days without power. Patch seemed to take a couple of days off shortly after the hurricane. The photography was crappy. We had major flooding around here, including a house that was wiped off its foundation. [Local Internet Site].com had aerials of that, plus some award-caliber photography. They were also all over news about school closings.

So in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't say it's a case of folks being critical of "new ideas and technology." I think it's a case of somebody else with those same "new ideas and technology" doing it a whole lot better.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or Harry Chapin's Taxi:

You see, she was gonna be an actress,
    And I was gonna learn to fly.
    She took off to find the footlights,
    And I took off to find the sky.

8. I'm a little perplexed by those who think that Patch pays well. I've covered some games for them and gotten just $70, and in some cases, only $50. And sometimes I've had to send several follow up emails just to get paid. I suppose if you are 22 and living in your mom and dad's house, $50-$70 qualifies as good pay, but considering the fact that you have to write a story and contribute photos/videos, it seems like peanuts to me- esp. given the price of gas these days.

I'm curious to know- for those of you living in high cost of living places like DC or S. California how can you make a living just doing freelance work for sites like Patch, and other local papers?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

$50-70 isn't a king's ransom, no, but it's definitely in the ballpark with most newspapers. You're a lot more likely to find a newspaper paying $30-40 for an assignment than $100 or more.

I remember getting $150 from one paper as my high-water mark for event coverage, and $100 a few times. Usually it was anywhere from $30 to $75.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This is, unfortuantely, also sometimes par for "old, respectable" print or other media operations. If anything, it sounds slightly less-hard to get your money out of them. If a follow-up email is the worst case scenario, that's far, far from the worst horror story I've heard about the teeth-pulling involved in getting the $$ you were promised as a freelancer.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nobody anywhere should be working for those kind of rates. And anyone who does has forever forfeited the right to complain about pay in the news industry.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, maybe. But it's a buyer's market. At least I can reject stories if it's not worth my time. $50 to cover a college football game? Maybe, if it's nearby because i like football. $50 to cover a junior golf tournament 45 minutes from me? No.

God knows I wouldn't try to make freelancing my sole source of income, or a majority of it, or even a sizeable minority. More power to those that can and do, but unless you've got regular work with multiple publications, I don't know how it's workable.

Draft saved Draft deleted