1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legion coach suspended for fake box score

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

YF,
    You're usually pretty solid with your arguments, even when I find myself disagreeing with them, but this one...

Yes, papers write roundups on games where they only have boxscores. This is done 79,000 times during the year.

HILLBILLYVILLE -- Rufus McCartwrights scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as Hillbillyville defeated Hickstown 75-64 Saturday night in Mudville Conference boys basketball.

Cletus Smith added 15 points and eight assists for Hillbillyville, which improved to 7-3 overall and 2-0 in the conference.

Michael Jordan led Hickstown with 33 points, 18 rebounds and six assists while Larry Bird chipped in with 13 points and 10 caroms.

That roundup, written by a 63-year-old who, yes, still uses the word caroms, would be written off the boxscore, whether faxed, emailed or called in. Shockingly, the AP does not cover every game in the state each night, but that would help tremendously.

If that doesn't appear in the paper, feel free to man the phones the next day. "Yes, sir, I know we didn't do a roundup for it, but that's because we had our reporter at the other game. We don't write about anything unless we are there, new policy."

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This should really end the argument right in its place.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

YankeeFan: Would you make the same argument about high school sports?

If it's important enough to put in the paper, cover it?

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd have to send one reporter for each team if two area schools are playing each other. None of this "home team provides all the stats" stuff. I need verification that the visitor's stats are right as well.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

On the flip side, if your local basketball team plays a tournament in Hawaii, Southern California or Florida, you've just earned yourself a nice vacation.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How do you know the writer is actually at those games and not at the beach? You'll have to send a second staffer to double check.

Draft saved Draft deleted