1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legion coach suspended for fake box score

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2012.

1. http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/fake-box-score-reported-to-newspaper-leads-to-suspension-of-american-legion-manager-1.1339031

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it on the dimwit thread, but I've never understood the "protect the players" defense for faking scores or not sending in lopsided results or losses. The players know they lost already.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's up the line of a coach not asking me NOT to publish a score because his team got beat so badly.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This area once had a big Fourth of July sandlot baseball tournament. Sixteen or thirty-two teams, eight fields running in opening rounds, blah blah blah.

One of the first-round winners called in his linescore and inserted the names of "retired" sandlot players as hitting home runs. I mean, the phoner didn't know any better. But we caught it before it got into print, and traced it back to this one guy.

Our SE phoned that guy and told him that if he didn't show up in the sports department the following Tuesday with a written letter of apology for publication, we would be running no more sandlot scores that season.

Which is what he did. Quite embarrassing for him.

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Wasn't this a systemic problem among high school hockey (I think) coaches in Boston some years ago? I don't remember what the consequences were for the coaches, though.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Halloween during football season is the worst.

Jack Ripper 99 yd. TD pass from Edward Scisorhands. It's funny the first time. About the fourth time, it gets to be a pain in the butt to edit out.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If you're letting them get to the fourth time with that crap, you're doing it wrong.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Michael Gee might be able to help us with that. It was hockey in Massachusetts. Eight, 10 years ago? Maybe earlier than that. Scores were called in and they were much closer than what actually happened and it was only uncovered because a photographer from one of the newspapers was at one of the games. Scores of 3-1 or 4-1 were reported when it was more like 17-1 or some sort. I just tried doing a quick Google search and came up with nothing but I'm still digging.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It was in the mid-90s. The Boston City League schools were doing it. They had some sort of gentleman's agreement among themselves where if the score was rather lopsided, the winning team called in a closer score. They were found out when a Globe photographer who shot one of the games pointed out that the score he saw in the paper was not what he saw at the rink.
    I know eventually the coaches had to agree to call in the correct scores, but I can't remember if they were disciplined or not.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The short answer is yes.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boston city schools vs. the good Catholic schools.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The most stunning part of this is that a photographer actually read the paper. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted