1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legendary Jim Brown To Current Players: Stop Dancing In The End Zone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

MISTER ... BOOOOOO-JANGLES.

MISTER .. BOOOOOOO-JANGLES. /homer

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dropped charges, after separation from the heat of the moment.

Brown's arrogance in this relationship area remains unbearable.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here are a few classic ones, including Billy White Shoes Johnson. I wish they had Elmo Wright, the man who started it all.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I personally can't stand end-zone celebrations.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except a lot of the current players can't really preach to Mr. Brown in that regard.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He'll probably be dismissed as being out of touch with the modern athlete even though he's right as fuck.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

His point isn't rooted in sportsmanship issues or worrying that the bullshit cheapens the game.

He's basically asking today's players to have enough respect for the people who fought the stereotypes of African Americans as stupid, grinning fools who broke into goofy dance steps that were ridiculed by others as typical of the race.

Amos & Andy and Stepin Fetchit wouldn't play very well to mass audiences today, yet some football players insist on perpetuating a stereotype that should be dead and buried.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

They obviously don't equate the dancing with perpetuating a stereotype, which raises the question - for how many years should black athletes not bust a spontaneous move out of respect for the stupid grinning fools of yesteryear? I mean, really.....

9. Smasher_Sloan

Every year there are stories about current MLB players who don't know who Jackie Robinson was and don't understand his place in sports history. Does that make him and his accomplishments less relevant?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Stepin Fetchit isn't nearly as culturally relevant as Jackie Robinson.

11. Smasher_Sloan

And I don't think anyone suggested he was.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nobody suggested Jackie Robinson wasn't relevant, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted